Current:Home > MyElon Musk allows controversial conspiracy theorist Alex Jones back on X -Capitatum
Elon Musk allows controversial conspiracy theorist Alex Jones back on X
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:08:06
Elon Musk, owner of X (formerly Twitter) on Saturday announced his decision to allow Alex Jones back on the platform.
Jones generated controversy for spreading false, wild conspiracies, claiming that a "New World Order" was sacrificing children on a California compound; that the U.S. government had "weather weapons" that triggered catastrophes like major floods; and that FBI Director Robert Mueller was a demon.
Shortly after being formally re-instated on X, Jones and Musk joined Vivek Ramaswamy, Laura Loomer (a self-described "proud Islamophobe" who has been banned from some platforms) and others in a live chat on Sunday.
"I'm telling you they want us silenced for what we said," said Jones.
The conversation covered a series of, at times, confusing topics including the "deep state" and the threats that the participants perceived to masculinity.
Allowing Jones back on X is a reversal of Musk's 2022 statement that the ban on Jones would not be lifted.
On Saturday Musk took a poll on X, and based on the results decided to reinstate Jones's account. Previous to the poll, Jones's last post on the platform was Sept. 6, 2018.
It's unknown how advertisers, who have been pulling ads from X over Musk's endorsement of antisemitic comments, will respond to Jones' return.
Musk raised eyebrows when he appeared on stage at the DealBook Summit in New York in November and leveled profanities at companies who pulled ads from X.
Muslims, immigrants and the LGBTQ+ community are common targets for Jones, but what finally landed him in major legal trouble was claiming, falsely, that the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn. was an "inside job" and a "government operation." He also claimed, again falsely, that no one had died in the shooting - which left 26 people dead, 20 of them being children - and that everyone speaking about the event was a "crisis actor."
The families of those who died in the Sandy Hook school shooting sued Jones in Texas and in Connecticut in 2018, saying that they'd suffered emotional pain and received death threats as a result of Jones' false claims that they were crisis actors and that the tragedy was staged. The families won a total of nearly $1.5 billion in compensatory and punitive damages, prompting Jones to file for bankruptcy. He has yet to pay damages to the families.
Jones has since admitted that the Sandy Hook shooting did, indeed, happen.
Attorney Chris Mattei, who represented the Sandy Hook families in that lawsuit, posted his response to Jones's return to X:
Musk has reinstated several banned or suspended accounts since purchasing Twitter, including ones belonging to former president Donald Trump and social media personality Andrew Tate, who was indicted earlier this year on human trafficking and rape charges in Romania.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Why are clocks set forward in the spring? Thank wars, confusion and a hunger for sunlight
- Arizona’s health department has named the first statewide heat officer to address extreme heat
- Microsoft engineer sounds alarm on AI image-generator to US officials and company’s board
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Fumes in cabin cause Alaska Airlines flight to Phoenix to return to Portland, Oregon
- 3 sizzling hot ETFs that will keep igniting the market
- Amid Louisiana’s crawfish shortage, governor issues disaster declaration
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Is Walmart getting rid of self-checkout? No, but it's 'testing' how, when to use DIY process
Ranking
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Indiana lawmakers in standoff on antisemitism bill following changes sought by critics of Israel
- Coffee Mate, Dr Pepper team up to create dirty soda creamer inspired by social media trend
- Minority-owned business agency discriminated against white people, federal judge says
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Social media outages hurt small businesses -- so it’s important to have a backup plan
- Saquon Barkley NFL free agency landing spots: Ranking 9 teams from most to least sensible
- States in Colorado River basin pitch new ways to absorb shortages but clash on the approach
Recommendation
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
Spectacular fields of yellow mustard draw visitors to Northern California’s wine country
Gov. Gavin Newsom’s campaign donor says his Panera Bread restaurants will follow minimum wage law
Did the moose have to die? Dog-sledding risk comes to light after musher's act of self-defense
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
TJ Maxx's Designer Bag Deals Are Fashion's Best-Kept Secret For Scoring Luxury Bags for Less
Princess Kate spotted in public for first time since abdominal surgery
Biden to call in State of the Union for business tax hikes, middle class tax cuts and lower deficits
Tags
Like
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Gangs in Haiti try to seize control of main airport as thousands escape prisons: Massacring people indiscriminately
- Workers expressed concern over bowed beams, structural issues before Idaho hangar collapse killed 3