Current:Home > MyBenjamin Ashford|Jury seated for Indiana trial of suspect in 2017 killings of 2 teen girls -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|Jury seated for Indiana trial of suspect in 2017 killings of 2 teen girls
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:04:11
FORT WAYNE,Benjamin Ashford Ind. (AP) — The last of 16 jurors were seated Tuesday for the murder trial of a man charged in the Indiana killings of two teenage girls slain in 2017 during a winter hike.
Twelve jurors and four alternates were chosen Monday and Tuesday in Fort Wayne, Indiana, to hear Richard Allen’s trial in the killings of 13-year-old Abigail Williams and 14-year-old Liberty German.
Allen, 52, is charged with two counts of murder and two counts of murder while committing or attempting to commit kidnapping in the killings of the Delphi, Indiana, eighth graders, known as Abby and Libby. If convicted, Allen could face up to 130 years in prison.
The jurors will be sworn in Thursday for the trial in Delphi, a community of about 3,000 some 60 miles (100 kilometers) northwest of Indianapolis. Opening statements are set for Friday morning.
The trial is expected to last a month. The jurors will be sequestered throughout the proceedings, monitored by bailiffs and banned from using cellphones or watching news broadcasts.
Prosecutors said they plan to call about 50 witnesses, while Allen’s defense attorneys expect to call about 120 people to the stand.
Allen, a pharmacy technician who had lived and worked in Delphi, was arrested in October 2022.
A relative had dropped the teens off at a hiking trail just outside Delphi on Feb. 13, 2017, but the two friends failed to show up at the agreed pickup site later that day. They were reported missing that evening and their bodies were found the next day in a rugged, wooded area near the trail.
Within days, police released files found on Libby’s cellphone — two grainy photos and audio of a man saying “down the hill” — that they believed captured the killer.
Investigators released one sketch of the suspect in July 2017 and another in April 2019. They also released a brief video showing the suspect walking on an abandoned railroad bridge.
After years of failing to identify a suspect, investigators said they went back and reviewed “prior tips.”
Allen had been interviewed in 2017. He told the officer that he had been walking on the trail the day the girls went missing and that he saw three “females” at another bridge but did not speak to them. He said he did not notice anyone else because he was distracted by a stock ticker on his phone, according to an arrest affidavit.
Police interviewed Allen again on Oct. 13, 2022, when he reasserted he had seen three “juvenile girls” during his walk in 2017. Investigators searched Allen’s home and seized a .40-caliber pistol. Prosecutors said testing determined an unspent bullet found between the teen’s bodies “had been cycled through” Allen’s gun.
According to the affidavit, Allen said he’d never been where the bullet was found and “had no explanation as to why a round cycled through his firearm would be at that location.”
The case is subject to a gag order approved by Allen County Superior Court Judge Fran Gull, the special judge overseeing the trial. Allen’s trial has been repeatedly delayed after evidence was leaked, Allen’s public defenders withdrew and were later reinstated by the Indiana Supreme Court.
veryGood! (74)
Related
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- A populist, pro-Russia ex-premier looks headed for victory in Slovakia’s parliamentary elections
- Tim Wakefield, Red Sox World Series Champion Pitcher, Dead at 57
- Group of scientists discover 400-pound stingray in New England waters
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- NFL in London highlights: How Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars topped Falcons in Week 4 victory
- Washington state raises minimum wage to $16.28. See where your state lies.
- Hurts throws for 319 yards, Elliott’s 54-yarder lifts 4-0 Eagles past Commanders 34-31 in OT
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- 'Poor Things': Emma Stone's wild Frankenstein movie doesn't 'shy away' from explicit sex
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- As Diamondbacks celebrate 'unbelievable' playoff berth, Astros keep eyes on bigger prize
- Arizona’s biggest city has driest monsoon season since weather service began record-keeping in 1895
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein, pioneering LGBTQ ally, celebrated and mourned in San Francisco
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Watch every touchdown from Bills' win over Dolphins and Cowboys' victory over Patriots
- Parenting tip from sons of ex-MLB players: Baseball – and sports – is least important thing
- Bill Ford on politicians getting involved in UAW strike: 'It doesn't help our company'
Recommendation
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
Young Evangelicals fight climate change from inside the church: We can solve this crisis in multiple ways
Late-night shows return after writers strike as actors resume talks that could end their standoff
Nightengale's Notebook: Why the Milwaukee Brewers are my World Series pick
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Chicago is keeping hundreds of migrants at airports while waiting on shelters and tents
Heat has forced organizers to cancel Twin Cities races that draw up to 20,000 runners
Shopping for Barbie at the airport? Hot Wheels on a cruise ship? Toys R Us has got you