Current:Home > InvestUS issues first-ever space junk fine against Dish Network in 'breakthrough settlement' -Capitatum
US issues first-ever space junk fine against Dish Network in 'breakthrough settlement'
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:58:36
The U.S. government's crackdown on potentially hazardous debris floating in outer space began this week with its first-ever penalty against a company for failing to bring an aging satellite to a safe orbit.
Dish Network disposed of one of its satellites at an orbit "well below the elevation required by the terms of its license," according to a Federal Communications Commission investigation that was announced on Monday. In a settlement, the U.S. satellite television company agreed to a pay a $150,000 fine, a first in the commission's ramped-up efforts targeting space junk.
“This is a breakthrough settlement, making very clear the FCC has strong enforcement authority and capability to enforce its vitally important space debris rules," Loyaan Egal, acting chief of the FCC's enforcement bureau, said in a statement.
“As satellite operations become more prevalent and the space economy accelerates, we must be certain that operators comply with their commitments," he said.
In addition to the monetary penalty, the commission said the settlement includes an admission of liability from Dish and an agreement to adhere to a compliance plan.
'What do you see?'NASA shares photos of 'ravioli'-shaped Saturn moon, sparking comparisons
Dish launched EchoStar-7 satellite in 2002
In 2002, Dish launched the satellite known as EchoStar-7 into geostationary orbit, a field of space that begins 22,000 miles above the equator where spacecrafts can appear to be stationary to Earthbound observers.
Ten years later, the company filed a plan — approved by the FCC — to send the satellite to an orbit where it wouldn't pose a risk to active satellites, or about 300 kilometers above where it was stationed at the end of its mission, according to the commission.
Dish had planned to conduct the satellite's end-of-mission maneuvers in May 2022 based on estimates of remaining fuel.
But three months beforehand, Dish determined that the satellite had very little propellant left and therefore could not follow its plan to move it, the FCC said. Instead, the commission said Dish retired the satellite 178 kilometers away from the planned disposal orbit, or "well short" of the goal.
As a result, the commission said that Dish violated the Communications Act, FCC rules, and the terms of the company’s license.
Dish said in a statement to USA TODAY that the satellite was an older spacecraft "that had been explicitly exempted from the FCC’s rule requiring a minimum disposal orbit."
"The Bureau made no specific findings that EchoStar-7 poses any orbital debris safety concerns," according to the statement. "DISH has a long track record of safely flying a large satellite fleet and takes seriously its responsibilities as an FCC licensee."
Record space flight:NASA astronaut Frank Rubio returns to Earth after American record 371 days in space
NASA UFO report:How NASA hopes to shift UAP talks 'from sensationalism to science'
Historic fine comes as FCC begins crackdown on space debris
The threat of collisions is a growing concern in outer space, where space junk made up of defunct human-made objects continues to whiz around at high speeds, according to the Natural History Museum. In fact, dozens of near-collisions between active satellites or pieces of rockets occur ever year, The Washington Post reported in January.
The European Space Agency estimates that there are more than 34,000 pieces of debris that could cause cataclysmic damage if they were to hit something.
Space debris has become a growing concern in recent years for the FCC, which in 2022 adopted a rule that would require satellite operators to dispose of their satellites within five years of mission completion.
Earlier this year, the commission established a Space Bureau in an effort to better enforce regulations meant to minimize space debris and prevent interference in satellite operations.
Eric Lagatta covers breaking and trending news for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected]
veryGood! (86644)
Related
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Analyst Ryan Clark will remain at ESPN after two sides resolve contract impasse
- Powerball winning numbers for Feb. 26, 2024 drawing: Jackpot rises to over $400 million
- When is Part 2 of 'The Voice' Season 25 premiere? Time, date, where to watch and stream
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Coal company owned by West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice is found in contempt
- Emhoff to announce $1.7B in pledges to help US President Biden meet goal of ending hunger by 2030
- Have you been financially impacted by a weather disaster? Tell us about it
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- NTSB: Engine oil warnings sounded moments before jet crash-landed on Florida highway, killing 2
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Evers again asks Wisconsin Republicans to release $125M to combat forever chemicals pollution
- Da'Vine Joy Randolph on 'The Holdovers' and becoming a matriarch
- Get 46% off an Apple Watch, 67% off Kate Spade Bags, 63% off Abercrombie Bomber Jackets & More Deals
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Macy's to shut down 150 'underproductive' store locations by 2026, company announces
- By defining sex, some states are denying transgender people of legal recognition
- Gabourey Sidibe Is Pregnant, Expecting Twins With Husband Brandon Frankel
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Eye ointments sold nationwide recalled due to infection risk
The 10 NFL draft prospects with most to prove at 2024 scouting combine
Massachusetts man sues state for $1M after serving 27 years in prison
Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
Brawl involving Cam Newton another reminder that adults too often ruin youth sports
Tennessee replaces Arizona as No. 1 seed in NCAA men's tournament Bracketology
I Shop Fashion for a Living, and I Predict These Cute Old Navy Finds Will Sell Out This Month