Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Lawyers for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs ask judge to release identities of his accusers -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Lawyers for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs ask judge to release identities of his accusers
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 07:05:59
NEW YORK (AP) — Lawyers for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs asked a New York judge Tuesday to force prosecutors to disclose the names of his accusers in his sex trafficking case.
The Oliver James Montgomerylawyers wrote in a letter to a Manhattan federal court judge that the hip-hop music maker needs to know the identities of his alleged victims so he can prepare adequately for trial.
Last week, a May 5 trial date was set for Combs. He has pleaded not guilty.
A spokesperson for prosecutors declined comment.
Combs, 54, remains incarcerated without bail after his Sept. 16 federal sex trafficking arrest. His lawyers have asked a federal appeals court to let him be freed to home detention so he can more easily meet with lawyers and prepare for trial.
So far, judges have concluded he is a danger to the community and cannot be freed.
The request to identify accusers comes a day after six new lawsuits were filed against Combs anonymously to protect the identities of the alleged victims. Two of the accusers were identified as Jane Does while four men were listed in the lawsuits as John Does. The lawsuits claimed he used his fame and promises of boosting their own prospects in the music industry to persuade victims to attend lavish parties or drug-fueled hangouts where he then assaulted them.
The plaintiffs in Monday’s lawsuits are part of what their lawyers say is a group of more than 100 accusers who are in the process of taking legal action against Combs.
In their letter Tuesday to Judge Arun Subramanian, lawyers for Combs said the case against their client is unique in part because of the number of accusers. They attributed the quantity to “his celebrity status, wealth and the publicity of his previously settled lawsuit.”
That reference appeared to cite a November lawsuit filed by his former girlfriend, Cassie, whose legal name is Casandra Ventura. Combs settled the lawsuit the next day, but its allegations of sexual and physical abuse have followed him since.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually abused unless they come forward publicly, as Ventura did.
Combs’ lawyers said the settlement of Cassie’s lawsuit, along with “false inflammatory statements” by federal agents and Combs’ fame have “had a pervasive ripple effect, resulting in a torrent of allegations by unidentified complainants, spanning from the false to outright absurd.”
They said the lawsuits filed Monday, along with other lawsuits, and their “swirling allegations have created a hysterical media circus that, if left unchecked, will irreparably deprive Mr. Combs of a fair trial, if they haven’t already.”
The lawyers wrote that the government should identify alleged victims because Combs has no way of knowing which allegations prosecutors are relying on in their accusations in an indictment.
“To the extent Mr. Combs is forced to mount a defense against criminal allegations that the government does not seek to prove at trial, he is entitled to know that,” the lawyers said.
The indictment alleges Combs coerced and abused women for years, with the help of a network of associates and employees, while using blackmail and violent acts including kidnapping, arson and physical beatings to keep victims from speaking out.
veryGood! (51)
Related
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $400 Triple Compartment Shoulder Bag for $89
- Police officer holds innocent family at gunpoint after making typo while running plates
- 'There's a code': Jets OC Nathaniel Hackett calls Sean Payton's criticism 'unfortunate'
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Malala Yousafzai and husband join Barbie craze: This Barbie has a Nobel Prize. He's just Ken
- How Richard E. Grant still finds 'A Pocketful of Happiness' after losing wife to cancer
- Warner Bros. responds to insensitive social media posts after viral backlash in Japan
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- China floods have left at least 20 dead
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Special counsel Jack Smith announces new Trump charges, calling Jan. 6 an unprecedented assault
- X marks the lawsuit: Elon Musk’s social media company sues nonprofit highlighting site’s hate speech
- RHOBH's Erika Jayne Addresses Ozempic Use Speculation Amid Weight Loss
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- Man whose body was found in a barrel in Malibu is identified by authorities
- YouTuber Ethan Dolan Is Engaged to Girlfriend Kristina Alice
- Extremely agitated bear charges multiple people, is killed by Alaska police
Recommendation
Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
Royal Caribbean cruise passenger goes overboard on Spectrum of the Seas ship
Connecticut Sun's Alyssa Thomas becomes first WNBA player to record 20-20-10 triple-double
OceanGate co-founder says he wants humans on Venus in face of Titan implosion: Report
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Extreme heat costs the U.S. $100 billion a year, researchers say
A powerful typhoon pounds Japan’s Okinawa and injures more than 20 people as it moves toward China
New York Mets trade Justin Verlander back to Houston Astros in MLB deadline deal