Current:Home > MyTrump asks judge in Jan. 6 case for 2-month extension to file pretrial motions -Capitatum
Trump asks judge in Jan. 6 case for 2-month extension to file pretrial motions
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 05:08:27
Former President Donald Trump's legal team has asked the judge overseeing his federal election interference case for a two-month extension for the filing of pretrial motions.
The current deadline for pretrial motions in the case is Oct. 9, with the case currently scheduled to go to trial on March 4.
Trump's legal team argues that this is the "first time a President has been charged for conduct committed while in office, and the first time the leading presidential candidate has been charged in the middle of a campaign by his opponent's administration."
MORE: Trump opposes special counsel's request for gag order in Jan. 6 case
As a result, they argue, "defense counsel must research and address issues of extreme constitutional import that require careful analysis and briefing."
Trump last month pleaded not guilty to charges of undertaking a "criminal scheme" to overturn the results of the 2020 election by enlisting a slate of so-called "fake electors," using the Justice Department to conduct "sham election crime investigations," trying to enlist the vice president to "alter the election results," and promoting false claims of a stolen election as the Jan. 6 riot raged -- all in an effort to subvert democracy and remain in power.
The request for a delay comes after Trump's legal team also asked the judge overseeing his classified documents case for a three-month delay to deal with issues related to their ability to view classified information. That trial is currently set to begin on May 20.
Trump pleaded not guilty in June to 37 criminal counts related to his handling of classified materials, after prosecutors said he repeatedly refused to return hundreds of documents containing classified information ranging from U.S. nuclear secrets to the nation's defense capabilities, and took steps to thwart the government's efforts to get the documents back.
Separately, special counsel Jack Smith's team said in a filing Thursday that there are some documents involved in the case that are so sensitive that they cannot even be stored with other classified information in a Sensitive Compartment Information Facility or SCIF -- a specially-prepared secure room for viewing highly classified materials.
"The Government stated at the September 12 hearing that there were five charged documents that the defense SCIF is not currently authorized to store," Smith's team wrote in a footnote regarding the secure facility being used by Trump's defense team. "The owners of four additional charged documents have since requested that those documents not currently be stored in the defense SCIF, and as a result, on September 26, the CISO removed those documents from the SCIF."
This includes nine documents in total, according to the special counsel, who said in the filing that they are attempting to establish a location in Florida to where the documents can be viewed.
Smith's team says that in the meantime, they can be viewed at a location in Washington, D.C.
veryGood! (41469)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Lionel Messi injured, on bench for Inter Miami match vs. Ronaldo's Al Nassr: Live updates
- New videos show towers of fire that prompted evacuations after last year’s fiery Ohio derailment
- Cigna sells Medicare business to Health Care Services Corp. for $3.7 billion
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- Take it from Jimmy Johnson: NFL coaches who rely too much on analytics play risky game
- Take it from Jimmy Johnson: NFL coaches who rely too much on analytics play risky game
- Colorado legal settlement would raise care and housing standards for trans women inmates
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Prison gang leader in Mississippi gets 20 years for racketeering conspiracy
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Eagerly awaited redistricting reports that will reshape Wisconsin Legislature are due
- Take it from Jimmy Johnson: NFL coaches who rely too much on analytics play risky game
- Harvard megadonor Ken Griffin pulls support from school, calls students 'whiny snowflakes'
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- After Washington state lawsuit, Providence health system erases or refunds $158M in medical bills
- 'He died of a broken heart': Married nearly 59 years, he died within hours of his wife
- Watch: Pipeline explosion shoots flames 500 feet high, reportedly seen in three states
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Attorneys for the man charged in University of Idaho stabbings seek change of venue
Ex-CIA computer engineer gets 40 years in prison for giving spy agency hacking secrets to WikiLeaks
Nikki Haley's presidential campaign shifts focus in effort to catch Trump in final weeks before South Carolina primary
Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
Biden signs order approving sanctions for Israeli settlers who attacked Palestinians in the West Bank
Gisele Bündchen pays tribute to her late mother: You were an angel on earth
Botched's Dr. Terry Dubrow Shares Health Update After Quitting Ozempic