Current:Home > MyEthermac|YouTuber Ruby Franke Denies Doing "Naughty Things" in Jail Phone Call to Husband Kevin Franke -Capitatum
Ethermac|YouTuber Ruby Franke Denies Doing "Naughty Things" in Jail Phone Call to Husband Kevin Franke
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 09:45:36
Content warning: This story discusses child abuse.
Prosecutors have Ethermacshared more insight into Ruby Franke's mindset following her arrest.
The Washington County Attorney's Office in Utah has released a jailhouse conversation between the former YouTuber and her estranged husband Kevin Franke, in which she blamed the devil for her Aug. 30 arrest over child abuse charges.
In the phone call—which took place just two days after Ruby and her business partner Jodi Hildebrandt were taken into custody—Ruby told her husband, "The most upsetting thing is that I am completely misunderstood."
"Satan has taken everything away from me that I love," the 42-year-old said Sept. 1 in the call from Purgatory Correctional Facility. "And I'm a good woman. I don't do naughty things. I don't do naughty things. I'm a really good girl."
The mom of six also told Kevin that she would stay away from their kids if she were acquitted. However, Kevin predicted she would likely have legal restrictions placed on her access to the children until they reached the age of 18.
"I figured such. God told me," she said. "God told me when I was driving before I called you."
"The Spirit said, ‘Your children are gonna be removed,'" she continued. "And I just cried out loud. I'm like, ‘No, I'm not done. I'm not ready.' And God told me I'm done."
Kevin can be heard telling her at that time, "I'm committed to our family. I'm committed to you and our marriage, no matter what happens. I will be here to support you in any way that I can."
He has since filed for divorce from Ruby, with his lawyer saying the pair had been living apart from for more than a year before her arrest.
E! News has reached out to lawyers for Ruby, Kevin and Jodi for comment on the phone call but has not heard back.
Ruby—who ran the 8 Passengers YouTube channel—was sentenced Feb. 20 to four to 30 years in prison after pleading guilty to four counts of aggravated child abuse. Following her sentencing, her lawyer made it clear she had no intention of appealing the sentence.
The family vlogger was originally arrested over aggravated child abuse charges in August when Utah police received a report of a starving child and investigated the allegations, the Santa Clara-Ivins Public Safety Department said in a press release.
Authorities determined the child was in "severe" condition, looked "emaciated and malnourished" and had "open wounds and duct tape around the extremities."
During her hearing, Ruby apologized to her children and husband.
"For the past four years, I've chosen to follow counsel and guidance that has led me into a dark delusion," Ruby said in court, per the livestream on the Utah court's website. "My distorted version of reality went largely unchecked as I would isolate from anyone who challenged me."
"I believed dark was light and right was wrong," she added while addressing her kids. "I would do anything in this world for you. I took from you all that was soft and safe, and good."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (4)
Related
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Sean Diddy Combs' Attorney Reveals Roughest Part of Prison Life
- ESPN signs former NFL MVP Cam Newton, to appear as regular on 'First Take'
- Avian enthusiasts try to counter the deadly risk of Chicago high-rises for migrating birds
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs trial date set for sex crimes charges: Live updates
- What if you could choose how to use your 401(k) match? One company's trying that.
- Third-party candidate Cornel West loses bid to get on Pennsylvania’s presidential ballot
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- California man, woman bought gold bars to launder money in $54 million Medicare fraud: Feds
Ranking
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Lizzo Breaks Down What She Eats in a Day Amid Major Lifestyle Change
- Utah candidates for Mitt Romney’s open US Senate seat square off in debate
- Andy Cohen Reacts to NYE Demands After Anderson Cooper Gets Hit by Hurricane Milton Debris
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Trump insults Detroit while campaigning in the city
- Hugh Jackman to begin 12-concert residency at Radio City Music Hall next year
- Pregnant Influencer Campbell “Pookie” Puckett and Husband Jett Puckett Reveal Sex of Their First Baby
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
1 dead and several injured after a hydrogen sulfide release at a Houston plant
Winter in October? Snow recorded on New Hampshire's Mount Washington
Disney World and other Orlando parks to reopen Friday after Hurricane Milton shutdown
Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
Social Security COLA shrinks for 2025 to 2.5%, the smallest increase since 2021
Polling Shows Pennsylvania Voters Are Divided on Fracking
A federal judge rejects a call to reopen voter registration in Georgia after Hurricane Helene