Current:Home > NewsFederal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion -Capitatum
Federal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 19:39:58
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two former Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies and two former foreign military officials have been charged with threatening a Chinese national and his family with violence and deportation during a sham raid at his Orange County home five years ago, federal prosecutors said Monday.
The four men also demanded $37 million and the rights to the man’s business, according to the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles. Authorities have not released the businessman’s name.
The men are scheduled to be arraigned Monday afternoon on charges of conspiracy to commit extortion, attempted extortion, conspiracy against rights, and deprivation of rights under color of law.
Prosecutors said the group drove to the victim’s house in Irvine on June 17, 2019, and forced him, his wife and their two children into a room for hours, took their phones, and threatened to deport him unless he complied with their demands. Authorities said the man is a legal permanent resident.
The men slammed the businessman against a wall and choked him, prosecutors said. Fearing for his and his family’s safety, he signed documents relinquishing his multimillion-dollar interest in Jiangsu Sinorgchem Technology Co. Ltd., a China-based company that makes rubber chemicals.
Federal prosecutors said the man’s business partner, a Chinese woman who was not indicted, financed the bogus raid. The two had been embroiled in legal disputes over the company in the United States and China for more than a decade, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said one of the men charged, Steven Arthur Lankford — who retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in 2020 — searched for information on the victim in a national database using a terminal at the sheriff’s department. They said Lankford, 68, drove the other three men to the victim’s house in an unmarked sheriff’s department vehicle, flashed his badge and identified himself as a police officer.
It was not immediately clear if Lankford has an attorney who can speak on his behalf. The Associated Press left a message Monday at a telephone number listed for Lankford, but he did not respond.
Federal prosecutors also charged Glen Louis Cozart, 63, of Upland, who also used to be a sheriff’s deputy. The AP left a phone message for Cozart, but he didn’t immediately respond.
Lankford was hired by Cozart, who in turn was hired by Max Samuel Bennett Turbett, a 39-year-old U.K. citizen and former member of the British military who also faces charges. Prosecutors said Turbett was hired by the Chinese businesswoman who financed the bogus raid.
Matthew Phillip Hart, 41, an Australian citizen and former member of the Australian military, is also charged in the case.
“It is critical that we hold public officials, including law enforcement officers, to the same standards as the rest of us,” said United States Attorney Martin Estrada. “It is unacceptable and a serious civil rights violation for a sworn police officer to take the law into his own hands and abuse the authority of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.”
If convicted, the four men could each face up to 20 years in federal prison.
veryGood! (828)
Related
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- When does 'America's Got Talent' return? Premiere date, judges, where to watch Season 19
- What happens if Trump is convicted in New York? No one can really say
- Trump, accustomed to friendly crowds, confronts repeated booing during Libertarian convention speech
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Kim Kardashian, Kris Jenner and More Send Love to Scott Disick on His 41st Birthday
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale Share Rare Photos of Son Kingston on His 18th Birthday
- Grayson Murray's Cause of Death at 30 Confirmed by His Parents
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Mother pushes 2-year-old girl to safety just before fatal crash at Michigan drag race
Ranking
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Cpl. Jessica Ellis died in Iraq helping others. Her father remembers his daughter and the ultimate sacrifices military women make on Memorial Day.
- Mavs rookie center Dereck Lively II leaves Game 3 of West finals after taking knee to head
- Kyle Larson hopes 'it’s not the last opportunity I have to try the Double'
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Man convicted of Chicago murder based on blind witness’ testimony sues city, police
- Nicki Minaj apologizes for postponed concert after incident in Amsterdam
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Mourn Death of RAF Pilot After Spitfire Crash
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Johnny Wactor, 'General Hospital' actor, shot and killed at 37: Reports
Atlanta Braves' Ronald Acuña Jr., 2023 NL MVP, out for season with torn ACL
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, At First I Was Afraid
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
3 people dead after wrong-way crash involving 2 vehicles east of Phoenix; drivers survive
Taylor Swift adds three opening acts to her summer Eras Tour concerts in London
Nation's longest-serving flight attendant dies at 88: Fly high, Bette