Current:Home > MarketsBNSF becomes 2nd major railroad to sign on to anonymous federal safety hotline for some workers -Capitatum
BNSF becomes 2nd major railroad to sign on to anonymous federal safety hotline for some workers
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:39:46
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — BNSF will become the second major freight railroad to allow some of its employees to report safety concerns anonymously through a federal system without fear of discipline.
The Federal Railroad Administration announced Thursday that the railroad owned by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway had agreed to let its roughly 650 dispatchers participate in the program that all the major railroads promised to join after last year’s disastrous Norfolk Southern derailment in Ohio.
“Rail workers deserve to know they’re safe when they’re on the job — and if they experience anything that compromises their safety, they should be able to report it without worrying if their job is in jeopardy,” said Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.
Buttigieg has been urging the railroads to improve safety ever since the February 2023 derailment.
Until NS became the first railroad to sign onto the anonymous reporting system in January, all the major freight railroads resisted joining because they wanted the ability to discipline workers who use the hotline in certain circumstances. The Association of American Railroads trade group has said railroads were worried that the system could be abused by workers who try to avoid discipline by reporting situations a railroad already knows about.
But the idea of disciplining workers who report safety concerns undermines the entire purpose of such a hotline because workers won’t use it if they fear retribution, unions and workplace safety experts said. That’s especially important on the railroads where there is a long history of workers being fired for reporting safety violations or injuries.
The Norfolk Southern program is also limited in scope. Only about 1,000 members of the two unions representing engineers and conductors who work in three locations on that railroad can participate. Besides Norfolk Southern and now BNSF, only Amtrak and several dozen small railroads use the government reporting program.
Part of why the big railroads — that also include Union Pacific, CSX, CPKC and Canadian National — have resisted joining the federal system is because they all have their own internal safety reporting hotlines. But railroad unions have consistently said workers are reluctant to use the railroads’ own safety hotlines because they fear retribution.
veryGood! (82777)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Get Gym Ready With Athleta’s Warehouse Sale, Where You Can Get up to 70% off Cute Activewear
- Executor of O.J. Simpson’s estate plans to fight payout to the families of Brown and Goldman
- Trump pushes Arizona lawmakers to ‘remedy’ state abortion ruling that he says ‘went too far’
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- How Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Took Their Super-Public Love Off the Radar
- Wildlife ecologist Rae Wynn-Grant talks breaking barriers and fostering diversity in new memoir
- Who's hosting 'SNL' tonight? Cast, musical guest, where to watch April 13 episode
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- A Michigan man and his dog are rescued from an inland lake’s icy waters
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Who's hosting 'SNL' tonight? Cast, musical guest, where to watch April 13 episode
- Megan Fox Breaks Silence on Love Is Blind Star Chelsea's Comparison to Her and Ensuing Drama
- Some fear University of Michigan proposed policy on protests could quell free speech efforts
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Masters purse reaches new high: Here's how much money the 2024 winner will get
- Veteran Nebraska police officer killed in crash when pickup truck rear-ended his cruiser
- California man sentenced to 40 years to life for fatal freeway shooting of 6-year-old boy
Recommendation
Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
FDA chairman wants Congress to mandate testing for lead, other harmful chemicals in food
Arizona Coyotes players told team is relocating to Salt Lake City, reports say
J. Cole takes apparent swipe at Drake in 'Red Leather' after Kendrick Lamar diss apology
Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
Ex-Kentucky swim coach Lars Jorgensen accused of rape, sexual assault in lawsuit
Wildlife ecologist Rae Wynn-Grant talks breaking barriers and fostering diversity in new memoir
Proof Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr.'s Love Is Immortal