Current:Home > reviewsKate Middleton Diagnosed With Cancer: Revisiting Her Health Journey -Capitatum
Kate Middleton Diagnosed With Cancer: Revisiting Her Health Journey
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-05 20:07:57
Kate Middleton has provided answers to her ongoing health journey.
On March 22, the Princess of Wales shared a video statement confirming she had been diagnosed with an unspecified form of cancer. The news came two months after the Palace first shared the 42-year-old would be undergoing an abdominal surgery, and that her recovery process would keep her away from public engagements through Easter.
"At the time," Kate said of her January procedure during her video update, "it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
She noted that the diagnosis came as a "huge shock" to both herself and Prince William, and that they'd used much of their time away from the public to help explain to their three children—Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8 and Prince Louis, 5—what was going on "in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be okay."
She closed her statement with a note that she looks forward to returning to the public duties after she has time to focus on her recovery, and with a message of hope to all those grappling with cancer diagnoses.
"At this time," she added, "I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone."
Kate's statement confirming her diagnosis came after weeks of speculation online and in the media surrounding the details of her health—speculation that was only further ignited after Kate shared an image with her children for the U.K.'s Mother's Day on March 10 that was subsequently removed from news sites for allegations of photoshop.
Following the photo's removal, the Princess shared a statement to X that apologized for "any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused" while admitting that she does like to "occasionally experiment with editing."
But despite the many theories that abounded—including rumors that images of Kate and William in a car together in March had been photoshopped, or that a video of the two shopping in Windsor together wasn't actually Kate—Kensington Palace maintained from the onset that Kate's seclusion from the public was in line with the information originally shared regarding her recovery process.
"Kensington Palace made it clear in January the timelines of the princess' recovery and we'd only be providing significant updates," a spokesperson for Kate told E! News Feb. 29. "That guidance stands."
Today, Kate is grateful for the support she's received—both in her personal life and from the world beyond.
"Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance, too," she shared in her video statement. "As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both."
Keep reading for more of this year's royal news.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (5154)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Mississippi should restore the voting rights of former felons, Democratic candidates say
- Hunter Biden indicted on federal firearms charges in long-running probe weeks after plea deal failed
- With Mel Tucker suspended, five possible replacement candidates for Michigan State
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- The Fall movies, TV and music we can't wait for
- See the Moment *NSYNC Reunited in the Studio for the First Time in 2 Decades
- Father of 10-year-old UK girl Sara Sharif among 3 charged with her murder after Pakistan arrest
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Baby and dog die after being left in car for 6 hours in Virginia, sheriff says; woman arrested
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- As UAW strike deadline nears, these states may experience the most significant job losses
- Tensions rise on Italian island amid migrant surge, posing headache for government
- Father of 10-year-old UK girl Sara Sharif among 3 charged with her murder after Pakistan arrest
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Tory Lanez to serve 10-year sentence in state prison after bail motion denied by judge
- Environmental groups urge regulators to shut down California reactor over safety, testing concerns
- Woman who killed 3-year-old daughter and left burned corpse on ballfield is sentenced to 30 years
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
China is sending Vice President Han Zheng to represent the country at UN General Assembly session
Hunter Biden indicted on federal gun charges
Buffalo Bills reporter apologizes after hot mic catches her talking about Stefon Diggs
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Internet service cost too high? Look up your address to see if you're overpaying
Hunter Biden indicted on federal firearms charges in long-running probe weeks after plea deal failed
Ukrainian forces reclaim a village in the east as part of counteroffensive