Current:Home > MyBilly Porter says he needs to sell his house 'because we're on strike' -Capitatum
Billy Porter says he needs to sell his house 'because we're on strike'
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 03:08:14
Billy Porter may have to make some sacrifices as the SAG-AFTRA actors strike wages on.
The actor, 53, who is currently starring in the musical "A Strange Loop" in London, criticized media giants and discussed the strike in an interview with the Evening Standard released Saturday.
"The business has evolved. So the contract has to evolve and change, period," Porter said, referring to the battle with streaming services over residuals.
He added: "To hear (Disney CEO) Bob Iger say that our demands for a living wage are unrealistic? While he makes $78,000 a day?"
Igor recently came under fire for his comments about the actors' strike and Writers Guild of America strike. "There's a level of expectation that they have, that is just not realistic. And they are adding to the set of the challenges that this business is already facing that is, quite frankly, very disruptive," he said on CNBC in July.
Porter continued that despite his perceived fame, he is deeply affected by the strike.
"I have to sell my house," he said. "Because we’re on strike. And I don't know when we're gonna go back (to work)."
The "Pose" alum added, "The life of an artist, until you make (disposable) money — which I haven't made yet — is still check to check."
"I was supposed to be in a new movie, and on a new television show starting in September. None of that is happening," Porter explained. "So to the person who said, 'We're going to starve them out until they have to sell their apartments,' you've already starved me out."
The latter quote refers to a Deadline article in July that cited an unnamed Hollywood executive that said studios plan to let writers go broke before coming back to the negotiation table. "The endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses," the source said.
Billy Porter demands respectfor drag queens with Fox's 'Accused': 'Drag is not perverse'
Hollywood actors began striking in July, 2 months after writers strike started
Hollywood actors voted to strike in July, joining already-striking writers in a move that shut down the production of countless movies and TV shows.
Meanwhile, writers have been on strike since May, holding out for improved payment contracts at a time when less-than-lucrative streaming deals are bumping up against the looming threat of artificial intelligence taking writers' jobs. Actors are also looking for better pay deals, especially from streaming services such as Netflix.
The combined SAG and Writers Guild of America strikes immediately shut down TV shows and movies currently in production; it has already delayed "Challengers," starring Zendaya, which had been set to debut at Venice International Film Festival but has now been pushed to 2024.
SAG-AFTRA is worried about AI,but can it really replace actors? It already has.
The strike terms also halt promotional appearances ranging from red carpet walks to media junkets. While the duration of the strike is an unknown, some reports suggest studios are willing to hold out into the fall to win concessions.
Screen Actors Guild president Fran Drescher told USA TODAY last month that the union has "discussed what it would cost if it went for six months, so we're looking for the long haul. The gravity of a commitment like this is not lost on any of us. It's major. But we also see that we have no future and no livelihood unless we take this action, unfortunately."
Contributing: Kelly Lawler and Marco della Cava
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Longshoremen at key US ports threatening to strike over automation and pay
- New Jersey voters are set to pick a successor to late congressman in special election
- Texas lawmakers show bipartisan support to try to stop a man’s execution
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Who's that baby hippo on your timeline? Meet the wet, chubby 'lifestyle icon' captivating the internet
- Eric Roberts Apologizes to Sister Julia Roberts Amid Estrangement
- Amazon announces dates for its October Prime Day sales
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Influencer Candice Miller Sued for Nearly $200,000 in Unpaid Rent After Husband Brandon’s Death
Ranking
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Eric Roberts Apologizes to Sister Julia Roberts Amid Estrangement
- Alumni of once-segregated Texas school mark its national park status
- Tito Jackson hospitalized for medical emergency prior to death
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Anna Delvey's 'lackluster' 'Dancing With the Stars' debut gets icy reception from peeved viewers
- NFL power rankings Week 3: Chiefs still No. 1, but top five overhaul occurs after chaotic weekend
- New program will help inmates earn high school diplomas with tablets
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Bodies of 3 people found dead after structure fire in unincorporated community
Eva Mendes Reveals Whether She'd Ever Return to Acting
How can I resolve a hostile email exchange before it escalates? Ask HR
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
For 'Agatha All Along' star Kathryn Hahn, having her own Marvel show is 'a fever dream'
Couple rescued by restaurant staff after driving into water at South Carolina marina
For 'Agatha All Along' star Kathryn Hahn, having her own Marvel show is 'a fever dream'