Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Ex-president barred from leaving Ukraine amid alleged plan to meet with Hungary’s Viktor Orban -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Ex-president barred from leaving Ukraine amid alleged plan to meet with Hungary’s Viktor Orban
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 03:30:20
KYIV,SafeX Pro Exchange Ukraine (AP) —
Former President Petro Poroshenko was denied permission to leave Ukraine for a planned meeting with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, Ukraine’s security service said Saturday.
Poroshenko announced Friday that he had been turned away at the border despite previously receiving permission from Parliament to leave the country. Under martial law, Ukrainian men between 18 and 60 years of age are not allowed to leave the country without special approval.
The 58-year-old, who lost his re-election bid in 2019 to current Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy, said that he had planned to meet with U.S. House Speaker Mike Johnson, and the Polish parliament during his trip.
But security officials said that Poroshenko had also agreed to meet Orban, who has previously praised Russian President Vladimir Putin and refused to support Kyiv’s bid for EU accession. In a statement on social media, they said such talks would make Poroshenko a “tool in the hands of the Russian special services.”
Poroshenko, who called his experience at the border an “attack on unity”, is yet to comment on the allegation that he planned to meet Orban.
Meanwhile, Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant was left on “the verge of a nuclear and radiation accident” Saturday after it was unable to draw power from two of the lines connecting it to the local energy grid, the country’s nuclear energy operator said.
It said that the plant switched to diesel generators to stop the plant from overheating before off-site power was restored by Kyiv.
Russia occupied the Zaporizhzhia plant in the early stages of the war. Over the past year, the station has become a focal point of concern for international observers, with both Moscow and Kyiv accusing each other of shelling the plant.
In a statement on social media, Petro Kotin, head of Ukraine’s nuclear energy operator, accused Moscow of “incorrect, erroneous, and often deliberately risky operation of the equipment” at the site.
The Associated Press was unable to independently verify the claims.
Officials from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) have been monitoring safety at the Zaporizhzhia plant, which is one of the world’s 10 biggest nuclear power stations.
Although the plant’s six reactors have been shut down for months, it still needs power and qualified staff to operate crucial cooling systems and other safety features.
Elsewhere in Ukraine, Russia launched 11 Iranian-made Shahed drones and one guided cruise missile overnight Saturday, military officials said. The missile and all but one of the drones were reportedly destroyed by Ukrainian air defenses.
The Russian Defense Ministry also said that it had shot down two Ukrainian C-200 rockets over the Sea of Azov.
veryGood! (2633)
Related
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Pope accepts resignation of bishop of Polish diocese where gay orgy scandal under investigation
- Israeli hostage released says she was kept in tunnels under Gaza
- Reno man convicted of arsons linked to pattern of domestic violence, police say
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- US developing contingency plans to evacuate Americans from Mideast in case Israel-Hamas war spreads
- Vanessa Hudgens Addresses Pregnancy Speculation After Being Accused of Trying to Hide a Bump
- JetBlue plane tips backward due to shift in weight as passengers get off at JFK Airport
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Manhunt underway for husband accused of killing wife in their Massachusetts home
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- How Winter House Will Address Tom Sandoval's Season 3 Absence
- Kurt Cobain's Daughter Frances Bean Marries Tony Hawk's Son Riley
- Counting down the NBA's top 30 players for 2023-24 season: Nos. 15-1
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Qatar becomes a key intermediary in Israel-Hamas war as fate of hostages hangs in the balance
- Jana Kramer Shares the Awful Split that Led to Suicidal Ideation and More Relationship Drama in New Book
- Icelandic women striking for gender pay equality
Recommendation
Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
Mauricio Umansky Dedicates DWTS Performance to His Rock Kyle Richards Amid Separation
'Our idol!': 92 year old's rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike inspires throng of followers worldwide
Sharna Burgess Reveals If She'd Ever Return to Dancing With the Stars After Snub
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Chevron to buy Hess for $53 billion, marking the second giant oil deal this month
Mideast scholar Hussein Ibish: Israelis and Palestinians must stop dehumanizing each other
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources secretary resigning after 10 months on the job