Current:Home > FinanceGoogle forges ahead with its next generation of AI technology while fending off a breakup threat -Capitatum
Google forges ahead with its next generation of AI technology while fending off a breakup threat
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 02:22:13
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Google on Wednesday unleashed another wave of artificial intelligence designed to tackle more of the work and thinking done by humans as it tries to stay on the technology’s cutting edge while also trying to fend off regulatory threats to its empire.
The next generation of Google’s AI is being packaged under the Gemini umbrella, which was unveiled a year ago. Google is framing its release of Gemini 2.0 as a springboard for AI agents built to interpret images shown through a smartphone, perform a variety of tedious chores, remember the conversations consumers have with people, help video game players plot strategy and even tackle the task of doing online searches.
In a blog post, Google CEO Sundar Pichai predicted the technology contained in Gemini 2.0 will “understand more about the world around you, think multiple steps ahead and take action on your behalf, with your supervision.” It’s a similar goal being pursued by hard-charging rivals such as OpenAI, with its chatGPT technology, and industry powerhouse such as Microsoft with a variety of similar tools on its Windows software.
A lot of Google’s latest AI technology will initially be confined to test groups and subscribers who pay $20 per month for Gemini Advanced, but some features will be made available through its search engine and mobile apps. Google is planning wider releases next year that will include the technology popping up in its smorgasbord of free products, including its Chrome browser, digital maps and YouTube.
Besides trying to outshine OpenAI and other ambitious startups, Google is also trying to stay a step ahead of Apple as that trendsetting company begins to blend AI into its latest iPhones and other devices. After releasing a software updateenabling the first bundle of the iPhone’s “Apple Intelligence” features that spruced up the device’s Siri assistant, another batch of the AI technology is scheduled to come out before the end of this year.
Google is pushing forward with its latest AI advances even as the U.S. Justice Department is trying to break upthe Mountain View, California, company to prevent further abusive practices by its dominant search engine, which was declared an illegal monopoly by a federal judge earlier this year as part of a landmark antitrust case.
Among other things, Gemini 2.0 is supposed to improve the AI overviews that Google began highlighting in its search results over its traditional listing of the most pertinent links to websites earlier this yearin response to AI-powered “answer engines” such as Perplexity.
After the AI overviews initially produced some goofy suggestions, including putting glue on pizza, Google refined the technology to minimize such missteps. Now, the company executives are promising things are going to get even better with Gemini 2.0, which Pichai said will be able to engage in more human-like reasoning while solving more advanced math problems and even churn out some computer code. The improvements to AI Overviews will initially only appear to a test audience before a wider release next year.
The technological upgrade is also supposed to infuse a still-experimental universal AI agent dubbed “Project Astra,” with even more smarts and versatility, enabling people to have more meaningful and helpful conversations with the technology. In a show of confidence, Google said it will expand the number of people testing Project Astra without providing any specifics of the group’s size.
As part of Gemini 2.0, Google is also going to begin testing an extension to Chrome called “Project Mariner,” which can be turned on to do online searches and sift through the results so people don’t won’t have to bother.
If the U.S. Department of Justice gets its way, Google will be forced to sell or spin off Chrome as part of its punishment for deploying its search engine in ways that stifled competition and potential innovation. Google has ridiculed the Justice Department’s proposal as “overly broad” and vowed to resist any attempt to break up the company during federal court hearings scheduled to begin in Washington D.C. next spring.
Even if those proceedings culminate in a court order mandating a breakup, Google could still appeal in a process that could take years to resolve while it continues its AI expansion.
“I can’t wait to see what this next era brings,” Pichai wrote in his blog post, signaling the company doesn’t believe it will be deterred by regulators.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (62119)
Related
- Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
- Bridgerton Season 3 Cast Reveals What to Expect From Part 2
- 35 Father's Day Gift Ideas Under $10 That Your Dad Will Actually Use
- Former top Baltimore prosecutor applies for presidential pardon
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Paul Skenes nearly untouchable: Phenom tosses six no-hit innings, beats Cubs in second MLB start
- Georgia's parliament passes controversial foreign agent law amid protests, widespread criticism
- Google rolls out Easter eggs for Minecraft's 15th anniversary: Use these keywords to find them
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Michigan woman charged in deadly car crash was texting, watching movie on phone: Reports
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Iain Armitage on emotional Young Sheldon finale and what's next in his career
- Never-before-seen photos of Queen Elizabeth, Princess Margaret through the century unveiled
- Singer Zach Bryan and girlfriend Brianna LaPaglia shaken after 'traumatizing' car accident
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Fans divided over age restriction in Stockholm for Taylor Swift's Eras Tour
- Mike Tyson, Jake Paul exchange insults as second joint press conference turns darker
- Michigan lawmakers get final revenue estimates as they push to finalize the state budget
Recommendation
Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
Indy 500 qualifying at Indianapolis Motor Speedway: How it works, when to watch, entries
GOP fighting, 50-hour Democratic filibuster kill push to make amending Missouri Constitution harder
A brief history of Knicks' Game 7s at Madison Square Garden as they take on Pacers Sunday
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Toronto Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach
U.S. announces effort to expedite court cases of migrants who cross the border illegally
Teen who vanished 26 years ago rescued from neighbor's cellar — just 200 yards from his home in Algeria