Current:Home > reviewsRory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career' -Capitatum
Rory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career'
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 03:48:25
Rory McIlroy maintains he's sticking with the PGA Tour following a report that LIV Golf offered him $850 million and an ownership stake to join the league.
"I honestly don't know how these things get started. I've never been offered a number from LIV and I've never contemplated going to LIV," McIlroy told Golf Channel.
"I think I've made it clear over the past two years that I don't think it's something for me. Doesn't mean that I judge people that have went and played over there — I think one of the things that I've realized over the past two years is people can make their own decisions for whatever they think is best for themselves and who are we to judge them for that? But personally, for me, my future is here on the PGA Tour and it's never been any different."
McIlroy doubled down on his commitment to the PGA Tour, saying he will spend the rest of his career with it.
"Over the last two years there's been so many rumors of guys — I think the one thing I've realized as well ... guys need to keep an open mind. I'm sure there's been players that are still playing on the PGA Tour that have talked to the guys from LIV and had offers and whatever. .... It's never even been a conversation for us.
"It's one of those things. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with it and this is the state that our game's in. But I'm obviously here today and I'm playing this PGA Tour event next week and I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career."
McIlroy's agent said there was "zero truth" to the rumors and labeled them as "fake news."
The four-time major champ had been one of LIV Golf's more vocal critics since its inception, going so far as to say last year that, "If LIV Golf was the last place to play golf on Earth, I would retire." McIlroy's stance on the Saudi-funded tour appears to have softened somewhat in recent months, however.
"I wouldn't say I've lost the fight against LIV, but I've just accepted the fact that this is part of our sport now," McIlroy said in January.
He added then he was "maybe a little judgmental of the guys who went to LIV Golf at the start, and I think it was a bit of a mistake on my part because I now realize that not everyone is in my position or in Tiger Woods' position."
He echoed many of those comments while speaking Tuesday with Golf Channel. His personal commitment to the PGA Tour, though, appears to remain firm.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- How to protect your car from extreme heat: 10 steps to protect your ride from the sun
- Author Iyanla Vanzant Mourns Death of Youngest Daughter
- New Hampshire beachgoers witness small plane crash into surf, flip in water
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Millions in Haiti starve as food, blocked by gangs, rots on the ground
- Pitt coach Randy Waldrum directs Nigeria to World Cup Round of 16 amid pay scandal
- Here's Your First Look at Vanderpump Rules Star Tom Sandoval's New Reality TV Gig
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- President acknowledges Hunter Biden's 4-year-old daughter as his granddaughter, and Republicans take jabs
Ranking
- Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
- Rangers, Blue Jays bolster pitching as St. Louis Cardinals trade top arms in sell-off
- Pee-wee Herman creator Paul Reubens dies at 70
- Win, lose or draw: How USWNT can advance to World Cup knockout rounds, avoid embarrassment
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Appellate court rules that Missouri man with schizophrenia can be executed after all
- Niger general who helped stage coup declares himself country's new leader
- Ukraine again reported bringing war deep into Russia with attacks on Moscow and border region
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Gas prices up: Sticker shock hits pump as heat wave, oil prices push cost to 8-month high
Spain identifies 212 German, Austrian and Dutch fighters who went missing during Spanish Civil War
Folwell lends his governor’s campaign $1 million; Stein, Robinson still on top with money
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
A North Carolina budget is a month late, but Republicans say they are closing in on a deal
'Don't get on these rides': Music Express ride malfunctions, flings riders in reverse
Musk threatens to sue researchers who documented the rise in hateful tweets