Current:Home > reviewsCharles Langston:No place is safe in Gaza after Israel targets areas where civilians seek refuge, Palestinians say -Capitatum
Charles Langston:No place is safe in Gaza after Israel targets areas where civilians seek refuge, Palestinians say
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 06:21:40
DEIR al-BALAH,Charles Langston Gaza Strip (AP) — Even the “safe zones” of Gaza aren’t safe for Palestinians.
Intense Israeli strikes Tuesday destroyed homes, hit a U.N. school sheltering the displaced and killed dozens of people in south and central Gaza.
“The situation is very, very difficult with artillery shelling and aerial bombardment on homes and defenseless people,” said Abu Hashem Abu al-Hussein, who initially welcomed displaced families into his home in Khan Younis, but then fled to a U.N. school, where he hoped to find safety himself.
Israel had told Palestinians over the weekend to evacuate northern Gaza and Gaza City in advance of an expected ground invasion of the territory following an attack by Hamas militants last week that killed at least 1,400 Israelis.
An estimated 600,000 people complied, packing what belongings they could and rushing to the south, where they squeezed into overcrowded U.N. shelters, hospitals, and homes in the approximately 14-kilometer (8-mile) long area south of the evacuation zone.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Hamas on Tuesday of preventing people from “getting out of harm’s way,” and he again urged Palestinians to head “south to safe zones”
For some on Tuesday, there was no safety to be had there.
After midnight Tuesday morning, an explosion shattered Moataz al-Zre’e’s windows. He rushed outside to find his neighbor Ibrahim’s entire home had been razed. The house next door was damaged also. At least 12 people from two families were killed, including three people from a family displaced from Gaza City.
“There was no (Israeli) warning,” he said. Al-Zre’e’s sister was gravely wounded and five of his paternal cousins were also injured following the attack. “Most of the killed were women and children.”
Stunned residents took stock of the damage from another strike in Khan Younis. Samiha Zoarab looked around at the destruction in shock, as children rummaged through piles of rubble around the destroyed home, which lies amid a dense cluster of buildings.
At least four people from the same family were killed in the attack, she said. “There are only two survivors,” she said.
A strike hit a U.N. school in central Gaza where 4,000 Palestinians had taken refuge, killing six people, the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees said.
A barrage leveled a block of homes in the central Gaza Bureij refugee camp, killing many inside, residents said. Among the killed was Ayman Nofal, a top Hamas military commander.
Strikes also hit the cities of Rafah, where 27 were reported killed, and Khan Younis, where 30 were reported killed, according to Bassem Naim, a senior Hamas official.
The Israeli military said it was targeting Hamas hideouts, infrastructure and command centers.
The strikes came even as residents struggled with an Israeli blockade that cut off the flow of water, food, fuel and medicine to the area.
The Kuwait Speciality Hospital in the southern city of Rafah has received two orders from the Israeli military to evacuate said staff had just two hours to leave after Sunday’s order, in a video posted to the hospital’s Facebook group. The second came Monday at 10 p.m., as medics worked around the clock to resuscitate patients. “We shall not evacuate,” he said.
The Israeli army did not immediately comment on why it had called for the hospital evacuation.
Apart from the near-constant stream of wounded patients, the hospital was also sheltering hundreds of people inside its halls and surroundings. Israel “has left no red line they did not cross, nor an international convention they did not violate,” said al-Hams. The safety of hospitals, he added, was the last red line left.
veryGood! (975)
Related
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- US’s largest public utility ignores warnings in moving forward with new natural gas plant
- Emily in Paris' Lucien Laviscount Details Working With Shakira
- U.S. airman shot and killed by Florida sheriff's deputy
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Drake and Kendrick Lamar’s feud — the biggest beef in recent rap history — explained
- Bucks' Patrick Beverley: 'I was absolutely wrong' for throwing basketball at Pacers fans
- Mary J. Blige asserts herself with Strength of a Woman: 'Allow me to reintroduce myself'
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- When is the 2024 NFL schedule release? Expected date comes in new report
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Justin Timberlake Reacts to Jessica Biel’s Over-the-Top Met Gala Gown
- Disney’s streaming business turns a profit in first financial report since challenge to Iger
- The Daily Money: How much does guilt-tipping cost us?
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- US service member shot and killed by Florida police identified by the Air Force
- Camila Cabello Gives Chilly Update After Carrying Ice Block at 2024 Met Gala
- Harvey Weinstein is back at NYC’s Rikers Island jail after hospital stay
Recommendation
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
95 men, women sue state of Illinois alleging 'severe' sexual abuse at youth centers
Legal Challenges Continue for SunZia Transmission Line
The Boy Scouts of America has a new name — and it's more inclusive
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
15 House Democrats call on Biden to take border executive action
US’s largest public utility ignores warnings in moving forward with new natural gas plant
'The Voice': Team Dan + Shay leads with 3 singers in Top 9, including Instant Save winner