Current:Home > NewsFTC sues to block the $69 billion Microsoft-Activision Blizzard merger -Capitatum
FTC sues to block the $69 billion Microsoft-Activision Blizzard merger
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 19:39:57
The Federal Trade Commission said Thursday it is suing to block Microsoft's planned $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard, saying it could suppress competitors to its Xbox game consoles and its growing games subscription business.
The FTC voted 3-1 to issue the complaint after a closed-door meeting, with the three Democratic commissioners voting in favor and the sole Republican voting against. A fifth seat on the panel is vacant after another Republican left earlier this year.
The FTC's complaint points to Microsoft's previous game acquisitions, especially of well-known developer Bethesda Softworks and its parent company ZeniMax, as an example of where Microsoft made some popular game titles exclusive despite assuring European regulators it had no intention to do so.
"Microsoft has already shown that it can and will withhold content from its gaming rivals," said a prepared statement from Holly Vedova, director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. "Today we seek to stop Microsoft from gaining control over a leading independent game studio and using it to harm competition in multiple dynamic and fast-growing gaming markets."
Microsoft's president, Brad Smith, suggested in a statement Thursday that the company is likely to challenge the FTC's decision.
"While we believed in giving peace a chance, we have complete confidence in our case and welcome the opportunity to present our case in court," Smith said.
The FTC's challenge — which is being filed in an administrative court — could be a test case for President Joe Biden's mandate to scrutinize big tech mergers.
Microsoft had been ramping up its public defense of the deal in recent days as it awaited a decision.
Smith said Microsoft has been committed to addressing competition concerns and brought proposed concessions to the FTC earlier this week.
"We continue to believe that this deal will expand competition and create more opportunities for gamers and game developers," Smith said.
Microsoft announced the merger deal in January but has faced months of resistance from Sony, which makes the competing PlayStation console and has raised concerns with antitrust watchdogs around the world about losing access to popular Activision Blizzard game franchises such as Call of Duty.
Antitrust regulators under Biden "have staked out the view that for decades merger policy has been too weak and they've said, repeatedly, 'We're changing that,'" said William Kovacic, a former chair of the FTC.
The goal is to "not allow dodgy deals and not accept weak settlements," said Kovacic, who was a Republican commissioner appointed in 2006 by then-President George W. Bush. But he said trying to block this acquisition could trigger a legal challenge from Microsoft that the company has a good chance of winning.
"It's evident that the company has been making a number of concessions," he said. "If the FTC turns down Microsoft's commitments, Microsoft would likely raise them in court and say the FTC is being incorrigibly stubborn about this."
Microsoft announced its latest promise Wednesday, saying it would make Call of Duty available on Nintendo devices for 10 years should its acquisition go through. It has said it tried to offer the same commitment to Sony.
The deal is also under close scrutiny in the European Union and the United Kingdom, where investigations aren't due to be completed until next year.
Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said in a message to employees Thursday that the FTC's action "sounds alarming, so I want to reinforce my confidence that this deal will close."
"The allegation that this deal is anti-competitive doesn't align with the facts, and we believe we'll win this challenge," Kotick wrote.
Kotick said the deal will be good for players, employees, competition and the industry.
We believe these arguments will win despite a regulatory environment focused on ideology and misconceptions about the tech industry," he said.
veryGood! (66)
Related
- Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
- US weekly jobless claims unexpectedly rise
- Luigi Mangione Case: Why McDonald's Employee Who Reported Him Might Not Get $60,000 Reward
- Drew Barrymore Addresses Criticism Over Her Touchiness With Talk Show Guests
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing
- Save 30% on the Perfect Spongelle Holiday Gifts That Make Every Day a Spa Day
- Trump will be honored as Time’s Person of the Year and ring the New York Stock Exchange bell
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Drew Barrymore has been warned to 'back off' her guests after 'touchy' interviews
Ranking
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Trump taps immigration hard
- SCDF aids police in gaining entry to cluttered Bedok flat, discovers 73
- 'The Later Daters': Cast, how to stream new Michelle Obama
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Netizens raise privacy concerns over Acra's Bizfile search function revealing citizens' IC numbers
- We can't get excited about 'Kraven the Hunter.' Don't blame superhero fatigue.
- Albertsons gives up on Kroger merger and sues the grocery chain for failing to secure deal
Recommendation
Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Most reports ordered by California’s Legislature this year are shown as missing
Supreme Court allows investors’ class action to proceed against microchip company Nvidia
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Our 12 favorites moments of 2024
Netizens raise privacy concerns over Acra's Bizfile search function revealing citizens' IC numbers
Drew Barrymore Addresses Criticism Over Her Touchiness With Talk Show Guests