Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Lebanese security forces detain man suspected of shooting outside US embassy -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Lebanese security forces detain man suspected of shooting outside US embassy
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 00:52:52
BEIRUT (AP) — Lebanese security forces have Indexbit Exchangedetained a man suspected of being behind last week’s shooting outside the U.S.-embassy north of Beirut in which no one was hurt, police said Monday.
The Internal Security Forces said in a statement that they have detained a Lebanese citizen born in 1997 in a suburb of Beirut. They identified the suspect only by the initials MK.
Authorities said the suspect confessed to carrying out the shooting. The weapon used has been confiscated and the suspect is being questioned.
U.S. embassy spokesperson Jake Nelson said: “We are grateful for the speedy and thorough investigation by the local authorities.”
Shots were fired Wednesday night near the entrance to the embassy compound in Aukar, a northern suburb of Beirut. No one claimed responsibility for the shooting and the motives behind it were not known.
After the shooting, the Lebanese army launched an investigation, which included analyzing security camera footage from the area.
Lebanon has a long history of attacks against Americans.
The deadliest of the attacks occurred in October 1983, when a suicide truck bomber drove into a four-story building, killing 241 American service members at the U.S. Marine barracks at the Beirut airport.
Earlier that year, on April 18, 1983, a bombing attack on the U.S. Embassy in Beirut killed 63 people, including at least 17 Americans. Top CIA officials were among those who died. U.S. officials blamed the Iran-backed Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
After that attack, the embassy was moved from central Beirut to the Christian suburb of Aukar, north of the Lebanese capital.
On Sept. 20, 1984, a suicide bomber struck the embassy compound in Aukar, killing himself and 14 others, prompting the embassy to close.
The United States withdrew all diplomats from Beirut in September 1989 and did not reopen its embassy until 1991.
In 2008, an explosion targeted a U.S. Embassy vehicle in northern Beirut, killing at least three Lebanese who happened to be near the car and wounding its Lebanese driver. An American passerby was also wounded.
In 1976, U.S. Ambassador Francis E. Meloy Jr. and an aide, Robert O. Waring, were abducted and killed in Beirut. In 1984, William Buckley, the CIA station chief in Beirut, was abducted and killed by the Iran-backed Islamic Jihad group.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
- 3 University of Wyoming Swim Team Members Dead in Car Crash
- College basketball bubble tracker: Several Big East teams hanging in limbo for men's tournament
- Dolly Parton praises Beyoncé for No.1 spot on country music chart
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Ohio mom who left toddler alone when she went on vacation pleads guilty to aggravated murder
- How the death of a nonbinary Oklahoma teenager has renewed scrutiny on anti-trans policies
- Alabama justice invoked 'the wrath of a holy God' in IVF opinion. Is that allowed?
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's Kiss At Her Eras Tour Show in Sydney Has Sparks Flying
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Missing Texas girl Audrii Cunningham found dead: What to know about missing children cases
- Atlanta is the only place in US to see pandas for now. But dozens of spots abroad have them
- Machine Gun Kelly Reveals the Truth Behind His Blackout Tattoo
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- Could gunowners face charges if kids access unlocked weapons? State laws differ
- The combination of AEC tokens and Artificial Intelligence is a core driver in creating the Alpha Artificial Intelligence AI4.0 investment system
- Fire traps residents in two high-rise buildings in Valencia, Spain, killing at least 4, officials say
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Maryland lawmakers look to extend property tax assessment deadlines after mailing glitch
Wendy Williams' guardian files lawsuit against Lifetime's parent company ahead of documentary
On decades-old taped call, Eagles manager said ‘pampered rock star’ was stalling band biography
NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
Teens broke into a Wisconsin luxury dealership and drove off with 9 cars worth $583,000, police say
Alabama patient says embryo ruling has derailed a lot of hope as hospital halts IVF treatments
National Margarita Day: Recipes to make skinny, spicy and even avocado cocktails