Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Federal judge temporarily blocks plans for a power line in Mississippi River wildlife refuge -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Federal judge temporarily blocks plans for a power line in Mississippi River wildlife refuge
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 08:37:20
MADISON,Oliver James Montgomery Wis. (AP) — A federal judge has temporarily blocked plans to build a high-voltage power line across a Mississippi River wildlife refuge, saying he wants to see documents detailing the lead-up to the project’s approval.
U.S. District Judge William Conley issued a preliminary injunction on Thursday preventing American Transmission Company, ITC Midwest and Dairyland Power Cooperative from beginning construction on a one-mile portion of the Cardinal-Hickory Creek transmission line that would cross the refuge. He extended the injunction indefinitely following a hearing in Madison on Friday morning.
The 345-kilovolt power line would run 102 miles (164 kilometers) between Iowa’s Dubuque County and Wisconsin’s Dane County. A section of the line would cross the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge near Cassville, Wisconsin.
The refuge serves as a haven for fish, wildlife and migratory birds that use it as breeding grounds. It is the only stopping point left for many migratory birds that use the Mississippi Flyway. Conservationists fear the transmission line will damage the refuge and have been working for years to stop the project in court.
The National Wildlife Refuge Association, the Driftless Area Land Conservancy and the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation filed a federal lawsuit earlier this month. The groups allege the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued final approvals for the refuge crossing in February without giving the public a chance to comment. They also argue that the agency and the utilities improperly reached a deal calling for the utilities to transfer about 36 acres (15 hectares) south of Cassville to the refuge in exchange for 19 acres (8 hectares) within the refuge for the power line.
The conservationists told the judge they needed an injunction quickly because the land deal was set to close Friday and the utilities have already positioned construction equipment on the edges of the refuge.
Attorneys for both sides sparred for about 90 minutes in front of Conley on Friday morning.
The conservationists’ lawyer, Howard Learner, told Conley that FWS released final documents this past February that found the land deal would have no significant impact on the refuge without offering the public a chance to comment on it.
He also argued that FWS never considered whether the power line would be a compatible use for refuge land as required by the 1997 National Wildlife Refuge System Act.
Reade Wilson, a U.S. Department of Justice attorney representing FWS, countered that the conservation groups commented on an environmental assessment of the project released in September and the agency was under no obligation to open up the no-impact finding for public comment. She went on to contend that the compatibility test doesn’t apply to a land exchange. Conley seemed incredulous, saying she was asking him to ignore that a power line would be running across the land.
In the end, Conley said he would extend the injunction until the parties provide him with a more extensive record of what steps were and weren’t taken during the run-up to the final approval in February. He said once the record was made available, the attorneys would have 30 days to submit briefs.
Outside of court, Learner said the conservationists were pleased to see Conley extend the injunction. The Driftless Area Land Conservancy and the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation issued a joint statement praising the decision.
“We should not set a precedent that a simple land swap is all it takes to plow through a national treasure,” Driftless Area Land Conservancy Executive Director Jennifer Filipiak said in the statement.
Wilson didn’t immediately respond to an email sent after the hearing requesting comment.
ITC Midwest and Dairyland Power officials released a joint statement after the hearing saying the utilities disagree with the injunction. FWS acted within its legal authority under federal law and the line will help deliver reliable electricity from renewable sources to customers, they said.
The utilities added that they’re striving to minimize the environmental impact within the refuge, in part by avoiding any grading.
ATC media officials didn’t immediately respond to emails sent after the hearing seeking comment.
veryGood! (572)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- King Charles III is admitted to a hospital for a scheduled prostate operation
- Bobby Berk explains leaving 'Queer Eye,' confirms drama with Tan France: 'We will be fine'
- Morgan Wallen's version: Country artist hits back against rumored release of 2014 album
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Person taken hostage in southern Germany, but rescued unharmed
- Iowa promised $75 million for school safety. Two shootings later, the money is largely unspent
- Mikaela Shiffrin hospitalized after crash on 2026 Olympics course in Italy
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- New Hampshire veteran admits to faking his need for a wheelchair to claim $660,000 in extra benefits
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Data breaches and ID theft are still hitting records. Here's how to protect yourself.
- Italy’s leader denounces antisemitism; pro-Palestinian rally is moved from Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Mali ends crucial peace deal with rebels, raising concerns about a possible escalation of violence
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Tattoo artist Kat Von D didn’t violate photographer’s copyright of Miles Davis portrait, jury says
- Pamper Yourself With a $59 Deal on $350 Worth of Products— Olaplex, 111SKIN, First Aid Beauty, and More
- Jannik Sinner knocks out 10-time champ Novak Djokovic in Australian Open semifinals
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Britney Spears fans, Justin Timberlake battle on iTunes charts with respective 'Selfish' songs
Owner’s Withdrawal From Offshore Wind Project Hobbles Maryland’s Clean Energy Plans
Shop Lulus' Sale for the Perfect Valentine's Day Outfit & Use Our Exclusive Code
New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
American founder of Haitian orphanage sexually abused 4 boys, prosecutor says
Man accused of picking up teen fugitive following escape now facing charges, authorities say
Why Fans Think Megan Thee Stallion’s New Song Reignited Feud With Nicki Minaj