Current:Home > ScamsDNA sample from suspect in Gilgo Beach murders matches pizza crust, prosecutors say -Capitatum
DNA sample from suspect in Gilgo Beach murders matches pizza crust, prosecutors say
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 22:28:43
A DNA sample taken from Rex Heuermann, charged with three of the so-called "Gilgo four" murders on Long Island in New York matched DNA previously used to link him to one of the killings, prosecutors said Wednesday.
Heuermann, 60, was arrested in July after investigators matched DNA from a pizza crust he had tossed with DNA from a male hair found in the burlap used to wrap the body of Megan Waterman. He is charged with the murders of 22-year-old Waterman, 24-year-old Melissa Barthelemy and 27-year-old Amber Costello, and is a prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, 25-year-old Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
The bodies of the women, who authorities say were sex workers, were found in 2010 on Ocean Parkway in Gilgo Beach. A total of 10 sets of human remains have been found buried in the area, though the majority of cases remain unsolved and investigators don't think one person committed all the killings. Investigators do believe a serial killer is responsible for some of them.
Prosecutors confirmed during a short pretrial court appearance on Wednesday that a court-ordered swab taken directly from Heuermann's mouth matches the DNA from the pizza.
"The buccal swab erases all doubt,” District Attorney Ray Tierney said in court, according to CNN.
Defense attorney Michael Brown said outside court that the DNA found with the victim's body could still belong to someone else.
“It’s still a significant amount of people that could be the source of this hair,” Brown said, according to CNN.
Heuermann, who worked as an architect, said in court Wednesday that he has been reviewing evidence in his case and been averaging two or three hours a day of review time while in jail.
He has pleaded not guilty to the murders and is being held without bail.
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:Missing South Carolina woman may have met with Gilgo Beach murders suspect, authorities say
What's next in the case?
Prosecutors said they will continue providing massive amounts of evidence in the case ahead of Heuermann's trial.
They have previously said they have given Heuermann’s lawyer thousands of pages of records, DNA reports and about 100 hours of surveillance video recorded outside Heuermann’s home and office before his July 13 arrest, along with crime scene photos – and warned there's a lot more coming.
“You’re talking about 13 years worth of investigation,” Tierney previously said.
He's expected back in court in November for another status hearing, CNN reported.
TIMELINE:What led to arrest of suspect Rex Heuermann in Long Island
Contributing: The Associated Press
veryGood! (57)
Related
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Detroit police officer faces charges after punch of 71-year-old man turns fatal
- Plane breaks through thin ice on Minnesota ice fishing lake, 2 days after 35 anglers were rescued
- Argentina’s president warned of a tough response to protests. He’s about to face the first one
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Rome court convicts far-right activists for storming union offices to oppose COVID vaccine passes
- New York to study reparations for slavery, possible direct payments to Black residents
- Filmmakers call on Iranian authorities to drop charges against 2 movie directors
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Shark attacks woman walking in knee-deep water after midnight in New Zealand
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Oklahoma teen spreads holiday joy with massive toy drive
- Live updates | Talks on Gaza cease-fire and freeing more hostages as Hamas leader is in Egypt
- Parents of children sickened by lead linked to tainted fruit pouches fear for kids’ future
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Federal judge orders texts, emails on Rep. Scott Perry's phone be turned over to prosecutors in 2020 election probe
- 93-year-old vet missed Christmas cards. Now he's got more than 600, from strangers nationwide.
- Derek Hough Asks for Prayers as Wife Hayley Erbert Undergoes Surgery to Replace Portion of Her Skull
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
How UPS is using A.I. to fight against package thefts
Tom Schwartz’s Holiday Gift Ideas Will Get You Vanderpumped for Christmas
News helicopter crashes in New Jersey, killing pilot and photographer, TV station says
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Trump defends controversial comments about immigrants poisoning the nation’s blood at Iowa rally
Homicide victim found dead in 1979 near Las Vegas Strip ID’d as missing 19-year-old from Cincinnati
A rare and neglected flesh-eating disease finally gets some attention