Current:Home > MyMan pleads guilty in Indiana mall shooting that wounded one person last year -Capitatum
Man pleads guilty in Indiana mall shooting that wounded one person last year
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:28:47
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) — A man charged in a shooting that wounded one person inside a northeastern Indiana shopping mall has pleaded guilty to criminal recklessness in last year’s shooting.
Quentin A. Lewis, 28, pleaded guilty to the charge Wednesday, one day before he was scheduled to appear for a pretrial conference in the September 2023 shooting at Fort Wayne’s Glenbrook Square.
If an Allen County judge accepts Lewis’ plea, he would face a 3-year sentence, with two years of that suspended, The Journal Gazette reported. After serving one year in prison, the Fort Wayne man would be placed on active adult probation for two years and could also face a fine and court costs.
Lewis is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 26.
He was charged after the shooting left one man with a gunshot wound to the leg in Fort Wayne, about 120 miles (190 kilometers) northeast of Indianapolis.
The shooting followed tension between Lewis and the shooting victim because of comments Lewis had made about a woman and her children at a barbershop a few days earlier, authorities said.
Lewis’ plea agreement includes an order barring him from contacting the shooting victim and also calls for him to submit to an alcohol, substance abuse and psychological evaluation.
A telephone message and an email were sent Friday to Lewis’ attorney by The Associated Press seeking comment on his guilty plea.
veryGood! (387)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- EPA rejects Alabama’s plan for coal ash management
- U.S. orders departure of non-emergency government personnel from Niger
- Appeals court allows Biden administration to keep asylum limits along southern border
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- Taylor Swift's Longtime Truck Driver Reacts to Life-Changing $100,000 Bonuses
- Biden’s inaction on death penalty may be a top campaign issue as Trump and DeSantis laud executions
- Pence seizes on Trump’s latest indictment as he looks to break through in crowded GOP field
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Teenager charged after throwing gas on a bonfire, triggering explosion that burned 17
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- US Rep. Manning, of North Carolina, is injured in car accident and released from hospital
- After federal judge says Black man looks like a criminal to me, appeals court tosses man's conviction
- Flash flooding emergencies prompt evacuations in Kentucky, Tennessee
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- International buyers are going for fewer homes in the US. Where are they shopping?
- It's an 8-second video. But it speaks volumes about Lamar Jackson, Black QBs and dreams.
- Jonathan Majors' assault and harassment trial delayed shortly after he arrives in court
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
A landmark study opens a new possible way for Black Americans to trace their ancestry
Love Is Blind’s Irina Solomonova Reveals One-Year Fitness Transformation
Watch: Sisters find kitten at Indy 500, welcome him home to cat family
How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
Bud Light sales slump following boycott over Anheuser-Busch promotion with Dylan Mulvaney
The Summer I Turned Pretty Season 3 Is Coming: All the Dreamy Details
Taylor Swift's remaining surprise songs: What you still might hear on the Eras Tour