Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-Drake Bell reflects on the aftermath of 'Quiet on Set' revelations: 'An emotional rollercoaster' -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Drake Bell reflects on the aftermath of 'Quiet on Set' revelations: 'An emotional rollercoaster'
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:14:30
Drake Bell is NovaQuantopening up about life after "Quiet on Set."
The former "Drake & Josh" star addressed the Investigation Discovery documentary series "Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids' TV" (streaming on Discovery+ and Max) in an interview with E! News published Tuesday.
"It's an emotional roller coaster," Bell told E! News. "You keep something inside like that for so many years and it's like torture."
But everything changed with the release of the buzzy documentary, which included disturbing details from former child stars of a variety of abuses and toxic behavior they say they experienced on the sets of classic Nickelodeon children's TV shows, from "All That" and "The Amanda Show" to "Drake & Josh" and "Victorious."
"Oh my god, the world knows, and I didn't know how people were going to react," Bell said. "But it's been a lot of support and it's been nice."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Bell, who starred in Nickelodeon's "The Amanda Show" from 1999 to 2002 and "Drake & Josh" as the titular character from 2004 to 2007, alleged in the third part of the docuseries that, as a minor, he faced "extensive" sexual abuse by Brian Peck, a dialogue coach working with the network at the time.
Peck, who is not related to Bell's Drake & Josh co-star Josh Peck, was arrested in August 2003 and convicted in 2004 on charges of lewd acts with a child that stemmed from a 2001 incident.
Why 'Quiet on Set' documentaryon Nickelodeon scandal exposes the high price of kids TV
Bell had not previously disclosed himself as the plaintiff in that case. However, he did previously appear on an episode of DearMedia's "Not Skinny But Not Fat" podcast in April where he discussed the aftermath of opening up about the sexual abuse he faced from Peck.
The actor also discussed the criticism he received after he was accused of sexual contact and grooming an underage fan. "I'd responded on some DMs and was incredibly irresponsible, and got myself into conversations that I shouldn’t have had, and I ended up finding out that I was talking to someone that I shouldn’t have been talking to, and it snowballed into these allegations that were not true, and it just turned into this big thing," Bell said of the 2021 case.
In the "Quiet on Set" documentary, Bell said he experienced a "slow decline" in his mental health and sobriety, adding that he was "absolutely destroyed" by "misinformation" that was spread about his child endangerment case.
"I started to spin out of control," he said. "If I had continued down that path, that could very likely be the end of my story."
Contributing; Naledi Ushe, Kelly Lawler
veryGood! (4963)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Maren Morris Reveals Why She Didn’t Attend the 2024 CMT Music Awards
- Kelsea Ballerini and Chase Stokes Are Calling Dibs on a Date Night at CMT Music Awards
- Kelsea Ballerini talks honest songwriting and preparing to host the CMT Awards
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Driver flees after California solo car crash kills 9-year-old girl, critically injures 4 others
- Dawn Staley thanks Caitlin Clark: 'You are one of the GOATs of our game.'
- March Madness bracket predictions: National championship picks for the 2024 NCAA Tournament
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Why does South Carolina's Dawn Staley collect confetti? Tradition started in 2015
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- A glance at some of the legislation approved in the Maryland General Assembly
- A dog went missing in San Diego. She was found more than 2,000 miles away in Detroit.
- Solar eclipse 2024 live updates: See latest weather forecast, what time it hits your area
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Deion Sanders rips Colorado football after professor says players disrespectful in class
- Missouri to reduce risk of suffering if man requires surgical procedure at execution
- Jonathan Majors Sentenced to 52-Week Counseling Program in Domestic Violence Case
Recommendation
'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
Lithium Companies Fight Over Water in the Arid Great Basin
What time is the 2024 solar eclipse? Here's when you should look up in your area
Maryland Gov. Wes Moore says aggressive timeline to reopen channel after bridge collapse is realistic
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Jelly Roll's private plane makes emergency landing on way to CMT Awards: 'That was scary'
An engine cover on a Southwest Airlines plane rips off, forcing the flight to return to Denver
'Curb Your Enthusiasm' finale: Larry David's 12-season neurosis ends with 'Seinfeld' do-over