Current:Home > FinanceBurley Garcia|Andy Cohen regrets role in Princess Kate conspiracy theories: 'Wish I had kept my mouth shut' -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Andy Cohen regrets role in Princess Kate conspiracy theories: 'Wish I had kept my mouth shut'
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:34:50
Andy Cohen wishes he hadn't added fuel to the Princess Kate conspiracy fire.
On his SiriusXM show,Burley Garcia the "Watch What Happens Live" host expressed regret that he joined in on conspiracy theories about the Princess of Wales now that it has been revealed that she is battling cancer. Cohen said he is "heartbroken by the news" about her health.
"Of course, I wish I had kept my mouth shut," he said. "We are all praying for Princess Kate and King Charles."
Princess Kate stepped back from the public eye after undergoing abdominal surgery in January, sparking online conspiracy theories about her health and whereabouts. In March, TMZ published a video showing the Princess of Wales and her husband, Prince William, out shopping, which would appear to put the speculation to rest. But in a post on X, formerly Twitter, Cohen wrote at the time, "That ain't Kate."
Princess Katecancer diagnosis: Read her full statement to the public
In a segment on "Watch What Happens Live," Cohen also spoke with "Last Week Tonight" host John Oliver about what was "going on" with Princess Kate after it was revealed that a photo of her with her children had been manipulated. "There is a non-zero chance she died 18 months ago," Oliver joked.
On his radio show, Cohen recalled "someone on Sky News" calling him a "numpty" over his Princess Kate coverage and said he now realizes "they were right."
Stephen Colbert, 'The View' hosts expressed regret for Princess Kate coverage
On March 22, Princess Kate shared that she was diagnosed with cancer following her abdominal surgery, leading numerous celebrities to express remorse over their prior comments about her.
On "The Late Show" last week, Stephen Colbert addressed his earlier jokes about the "mystery" of Princess Kate's "disappearance," saying he never intends to "make light of somebody else's tragedy."
Andy Cohenapologizes, denies sexually harassing Brandi Glanville in 2022 video call
"Far too many of us know that any cancer diagnosis of any kind is harrowing for the patient and for their family," he said. "Though I'm sure they don't need it from me, I and everyone here at the 'Late Show' would like to extend our well-wishes and heartfelt hope that her recovery is swift and thorough."
The hosts of "The View" also expressed regret for how they talked about Princess Kate's absence. In a previous segment, co-host Sunny Hostin suggested the TMZ video showed a "body double" of Kate, and Alyssa Farah Griffin agreed there was "some question" about whether it was really her.
"I felt awful," Griffin said after the cancer announcement. "I'm guilty of having gotten into the fun of 'Where's Kate?' and sort of thinking it's funny and sharing the memes and playing into that."
But after Whoopi Goldberg had repeatedly defended Princess Kate on the show, co-host Ana Navarro said, "The lesson I learned was when Whoopi Goldberg tells me to mind my own damn business, I will mind my own damn business from now on."
veryGood! (61)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Carlos Alcaraz’s surprising US Open loss to Botic van de Zandschulp raises questions
- Tennis star Caroline Garcia another example of athletes being endangered by gamblers
- Farmers in 6 Vermont counties affected by flooding can apply for emergency loans
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- NYC Environmental Justice Activists Feel Ignored by the City and the Army Corps on Climate Projects
- First look at 'Jurassic World Rebirth': See new cast Scarlett Johansson, Jonathan Bailey
- Sheriff’s office quickly dispels active shooter rumor at Disney World after fight, ‘popping’ sound
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Top Brazilian judge orders suspension of X platform in Brazil amid feud with Musk
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Sheriff’s office quickly dispels active shooter rumor at Disney World after fight, ‘popping’ sound
- 7 US troops hurt in raid with Iraqi forces targeting Islamic State group militants that killed 15
- Police use Taser to subdue man who stormed media area of Trump rally in Pennsylvania
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Trump film ‘The Apprentice’ finds distributor, will open before election
- Dancing With the Stars Alum Cheryl Burke Addresses Artem Chigvintsev’s Arrest
- The Ultimate Labor Day 2024 Sales Guide: 60% Off J.Crew, 70% Off Michael Kors, 70% Off Kate Spade & More
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Move over, Tolkien: Brandon Sanderson is rapidly becoming the face of modern fantasy
Milo Ventimiglia reunites with Mandy Moore for 'This Is Us' rewatch: See the photo
Banana Republic’s Labor Day Sale Has Fall Staples Starting at $18—Save up to 90% off Jackets & Sweaters
Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
What to know about Johnny Gaudreau, Blue Jackets All-Star killed in biking accident
No criminal charges for driver in school bus crash that killed 6-year-old, mother
Priceless Ford 1979 Probe I concept car destroyed in fire leaving Pebble Beach Concours