Current:Home > MyVince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive' -Capitatum
Vince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive'
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 06:54:10
Former WWE CEO Vince McMahon slammed the upcoming Netflix docuseries "Mr. McMahon," calling it a "misleading" and "deceptive" depiction of him.
The founder of WWE said in a statement on Monday he didn't regret participating in the Netflix documentary set to be released this week. The six-part series chronicles McMahon's rise to power and the controversies that surrounded him. A trailer for the series hints at the lawsuit brought on by a former WWE employee that accuses McMahon of abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking.
McMahon said the producers had the chance "to tell an objective story about my life and the incredible business I built, which were equally filled with excitement, drama, fun, and a fair amount of controversy and life lessons."
"Unfortunately, based on an early partial cut I’ve seen, this doc falls short and takes the predictable path of conflating the "Mr. McMahon" character with my true self, Vince. The title and promos alone make that evident," he said. "A lot has been misrepresented or left out entirely in an effort to leave viewers intentionally confused. The producers use typical editing tricks with out of context footage and dated soundbites etc. to distort the viewers’ perception and support a deceptive narrative.
"In an attempt to further their misleading account, the producers use a lawsuit based on an affair I ended as evidence that I am, in fact, 'Mr. McMahon.' I hope the viewer will keep an open mind and remember that there are two sides to every story.”
According to Netflix, the series "delves into the mogul's controversial reign" during WWE, which ended this year when he resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, the parent company of WWE. His resignation came just after former WWE employee Janel Grant said she was put through sexual acts by McMahon that were done with "extreme cruelty and degradation." Grant alleged McMahon made her sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship for an agreed amount of $3 million, but she didn't receive full payment from McMahon and wants to void the agreement with the lawsuit. Currently, the the U.S. Department of Justice is conducting its own investigation into McMahon.
Attorney responds to Vince McMahon statement
Grant was not interviewed for the docuseries, her lawyers said last week. After McMahon released his statement, Ann Callis, an attorney for Grant, told TODAY Sports in a statement that calling "his horrific and criminal behavior 'an affair' is delusional and nothing more than a sad attempt to save his shredded reputation."
"Vince McMahon physically and emotionally abused, sexually assaulted and human trafficked Janel Grant for more than two years," Callis said. "Although Ms. Grant has not seen the “Mr. McMahon” docuseries, we hope it shines a bright light on his abhorrent and criminal actions by accurately portraying the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior.
“Ms. Grant will no longer be silenced by McMahon. Her story, though deeply troubling and exceptionally painful, is one that can help other abuse survivors find their voices. We seek to hold McMahon, John Laurinaitis and WWE accountable and to give Ms. Grant her day in court," Callis added.
"Mr. McMahon" will be available to stream on Wednesday.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- USA soccer advances to Olympics knockout round for first time since 2000. How it happened
- Inmate advocates describe suffocating heat in Texas prisons as they plea for air conditioning
- The best 3-row SUVs with captain's seats that command comfort
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- USA soccer advances to Olympics knockout round for first time since 2000. How it happened
- DJ Moore signs 4-year, $110 million extension with Chicago Bears
- NYC’s latest crackdown on illegal weed shops is finally shutting them down
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Take an Extra 50% Off J.Crew Sale Styles, 50% Off Reebok, 70% Off Gap, 70% Off Kate Spade & More Deals
Ranking
- Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
- Jack Flaherty trade gives Dodgers another starter amid rotation turmoil
- Simone Biles' Husband Jonathan Owens Supports Her at 2024 Olympic Finals Amid NFL Break
- Simone Biles now has more Olympic medals than any other American gymnast ever
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Phosphine discovery on Venus could mean '10-20 percent' chance of life, scientists say
- A union for Amazon warehouse workers elects a new leader in wake of Teamsters affiliation
- Haunting Secrets About The Blair Witch Project: Hungry Actors, Nauseous Audiences & Those Rocks
Recommendation
How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
Quick! Banana Republic Factory’s Extra 40% Sale Won’t Last Long, Score Chic Classics Starting at $11
Police union will not fight the firing of sheriff's deputy who fatally shot Sonya Massey
Team USA men's soccer is going to the Olympic quarterfinals for the first time in 24 years
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
About 8 in 10 Democrats are satisfied with Harris in stark shift after Biden drops out: AP-NORC poll
Delta CEO says airline is facing $500 million in costs from global tech outage
Is This TikTok-Viral Lip Liner Stain Worth the Hype? See Why One E! Writer Thinks So