Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 06:07:15
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (68392)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- How Ariana Madix's New Boyfriend Daniel Wai Made His Vanderpump Rules Debut
- Stephen Curry to battle Sabrina Ionescu in first-ever NBA vs. WNBA 3-Point Challenge
- 20-year-old sacrifices future for hate, gets 18 years for firebombing Ohio church over drag shows
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Pakistan’s former Prime Minister Imran Khan sentenced to 14 years in prison for corruption
- Fentanyl state of emergency declared in downtown Portland, Oregon
- Riverdale's Lili Reinhart Shares Alopecia Diagnosis
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- What to know about Elon Musk's Neuralink, which put an implant into a human brain
Ranking
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- EU Parliament probes a Latvian lawmaker after media allegations that she spied for Russia
- Chita Rivera, trailblazing Tony-winning Broadway star of 'West Side Story,' dies at 91
- Union calls on security workers at most major German airports to strike on Thursday
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Super Bowl 58 ticket prices are most expensive in history. Here's how much it costs
- Turkish parliament strips imprisoned opposition lawmaker of seat
- ACLU warns Supreme Court that lower court abortion pill decisions relied on patently unreliable witnesses
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Why The Golden Bachelor Ladies Had a Lot of Advice for Bachelor Joey Graziadei
North Korea says it tested long-range cruise missiles to sharpen attack capabilities
Ex-Huskers TE Gilbert, a top national recruit in 2019, pleads no contest to misdemeanors in break-in
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Could helping the homeless get you criminal charges? More churches getting in trouble
Britain’s Conservative government warned against tax cuts by IMF economist
Elon Musk says the first human has received an implant from Neuralink, but other details are scant