Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 07:40:05
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Atlanta City Council approves settlement of $2M for students pulled from car during 2020 protests
- A harmless asteroid will whiz past Earth Saturday. Here's how to spot it
- “Always go out on top”: Texas A&M Chancellor John Sharp will retire June 2025
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Inside how US Olympic women's gymnastics team for Paris Games was picked
- Married at First Sight New Zealand Star Andrew Jury Dead at 33
- Meet the U.S. Olympic women's gymnastics team, headlined by Simone Biles, Suni Lee
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- 6 people killed in Wisconsin house fire
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- NHL reinstates Stan Bowman, Al MacIsaac and Joel Quenneville after Blackhawks scandal
- Jamie Foxx Shares Scary Details About Being Gone for 20 Days Amid Health Crisis
- Some Boston subway trains are now sporting googly eyes
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Tour de France results, standings after Stage 3
- Powerball winning numbers for June 29 drawing: Jackpot rises to $125 million
- Beryl strengthens into a Category 1 hurricane in the Atlantic as it bears down on Caribbean
Recommendation
Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
Connie the container dog dies months after Texas rescue: 'She was such a fighter'
California Communities Celebrate ‘Massive’ Victory as Oil Industry Drops Unpopular Referendum
New Georgia laws regulate hemp products, set standards for rental property and cut income taxes
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Texas man dies while hiking at Grand Canyon National Park, authorities say
Restricted view seat at Taylor Swift's Eras Tour offers behind-the-scenes perk
Maine man who confessed to killing parents, 2 others will enter pleas to settle case, lawyer says