Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|Previous bidder tries again with new offshore wind proposal in New Jersey -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Previous bidder tries again with new offshore wind proposal in New Jersey
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 07:42:42
ATLANTIC CITY,SafeX Pro Exchange N.J. (AP) — A partnership that proposed an offshore wind farm in New Jersey last year but was not selected by state utility regulators to move forward with it is trying again.
Community Offshore Wind said Thursday it had submitted a bid a day earlier to build a wind farm off the state’s southern coast. It would generate 1.3 gigawatts of electricity, or enough to power 500,000 homes.
Its project would be located 37 miles off Barnegat Light on Long Beach Island. The companies involved did not say how many wind turbines would be included.
The project is a partnership between Essen, Germany-based RWE and New York-based National Grid. They previously applied to build a project in roughly the same area, but were not chosen by the state Board of Public Utilities to proceed with it.
“Community Offshore Wind was not awarded a project in New Jersey’s third solicitation, but this solicitation provides an exciting new opportunity,” company spokeswoman Molly Gilson said.
The companies would not say how, if at all, this bid differs from the one it submitted last year.
If it is selected, the project could begin construction in 2027 or 2028, and become operational by 2031, the companies said.
Community Offshore Wind thus became the last of the three bidders who submitted plans by Wednesday’s 5 p.m. deadline to publicly identify itself.
It joins Attentive Energy, which also has preliminary approval for a wind farm 42 miles (67 kilometers) off Seaside Heights, and which is proposing an additional project in the same general area. That project is a joint venture between Paris-based TotalEnergies and London-based Corio Generation.
The second project would be capable of powering about 650,000 homes, and it is a partnership among TotalEnergies, Corio Generation, and New York-based Rise Light & Power.
Attentive Energy said it is not seeking to re-bid the terms of the preliminary approval it received from New Jersey utility regulators in January.
But Atlantic Shores, which also has preliminary approval for a two-phase project off southern New Jersey, said Wednesday that it is seeking to re-bid its project. The company did not respond to multiple requests to clarify what it is seeking to change in the new bid, and how, if at all, its project might change under a new bid.
New Jersey has set ambitious goals to become the East Coast hub of the offshore wind industry. It built a manufacturing facility for wind turbine components in the southern part of the state to help support the growth of the industry here.
And New Jersey has become the epicenter of resident and political opposition to offshore wind, with numerous community groups and elected officials — most of them Republicans — saying the industry is harmful to the environment and inherently unprofitable.
One of the most vocal groups, Protect Our Coast NJ, said Atlantic Shores previously agreed to a price of $86 per megawatt hour, but now wants more.
“By going back to the feeding trough, these price-gouging hogs are looking for a bigger payday from the New Jersey BPU and” the administration of Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy, the group said in a statement Thursday. “We plan to work together with other grassroots groups to oppose the bait-and-switch tactics that this rebid represents.”
Supporters say widespread use of wind and solar energy is essential to move away from the burning of fossil fuels, which contributes to climate change.
___
Follow Wayne Parry on X at www.twitter.com/WayneParryAC
veryGood! (7147)
Related
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- As communities grapple with needle waste, advocates say limiting syringe programs is not the answer
- Native Americans in Montana ask court for more in-person voting sites
- Steward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Many Verizon customers across the US hit by service outage
- Biltmore Estate: What we know in the aftermath of Helene devastation in Asheville
- Angelina Jolie drops FBI lawsuit over alleged Brad Pitt plane incident, reports say
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- College football Week 5 overreactions: Georgia is playoff trouble? Jalen Milroe won Heisman?
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Why Rihanna Says Being a Mom of 2 Boys Is an “Olympic Sport”
- Repair and Prevent Hair Damage With Our Picks From Oribe, Olaplex, & More
- Plans to build green spaces aimed at tackling heat, flooding and blight
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Helene rainfall map: See rain totals around southern Appalachian Mountains
- ‘SNL’ 50th season premiere gets more than 5M viewers, its best opener since 2020
- Jeep urges 194,000 plug-in hybrid SUV owners to stop charging and park outdoors due to fire risk
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Opinion: Child care costs widened the pay gap. Women in their 30s are taking the hit.
Measure to expand medical marijuana in Arkansas won’t qualify for the ballot
Fantasy football buy low, sell high: 10 trade targets for Week 5
Small twin
A crash with a patrol car kills 2 men in an SUV and critically injures 2 officers near Detroit
Julianne Hough Claps Back at Critics Who Told Her to Eat a Cheeseburger After Sharing Bikini Video
Madelyn Cline Briefly Addresses Relationships With Pete Davidson and Chase Stokes