Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Indexbit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 02:34:41
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Indexbitagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (91575)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Alabama lawmakers approve stiffer penalties for falsely reporting crime
- Miss Teen USA gives up title days after Miss USA resigned
- Pete McCloskey, GOP congressman who once challenged Nixon, dies at 96
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Feds launch hunt, offer $10 million reward for Russian ransomware mastermind
- 2 young children die after being swept away by fast-flowing California creek
- Guns are being stolen from cars at triple the rate they were 10 years ago, a report finds
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Court rules North Carolina Catholic school could fire gay teacher who announced his wedding online
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- US airman Roger Fortson killed by deputies who may have hit wrong home, Ben Crump says
- New York appeals court rules ethics watchdog that pursued Cuomo was created unconstitutionally
- Running errands for mom leaves this woman $50,000 richer after winning Virginia Lottery Pick 5
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Idaho man gets 30 years in prison for trying to spread HIV through sex with dozens of victims
- Social Security COLA prediction 2025: 3 things to know right now
- Ippei Mizuhara, ex-interpreter for baseball star Shohei Ohtani, will plead guilty in betting case
Recommendation
Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
NBA draft lottery: Which teams have best odds to reel in this year's No. 1 pick
Two U.S. House members introduce bill that would grant NCAA legal protection
Jodie Turner-Smith Explains How Met Gala Dress Served as “Clean Start” After Joshua Jackson Split
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Lawyers’ coalition provides new messengers for Black voter engagement
Jokic wins NBA’s MVP award, his 3rd in 4 seasons. Gilgeous-Alexander and Doncic round out top 3
Millie Bobby Brown Shares Look Inside Jake Bongiovi Romance While Celebrating His Birthday