Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 22:04:17
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (212)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- CIA director returns to Middle East to push for hostage, cease-fire deal between Hamas and Israel
- Israel-Hamas cease-fire unlikely before Ramadan as Hamas delegation leaves talks, but says they'll resume
- What is happening in Haiti? Here's what to know.
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- NH troopers shoot and kill armed man during a foot pursuit with a police dog, attorney general says
- Tiger Woods won't play in the 2024 Players Championship
- Lawsuit accuses Portland police officer of fatally shooting unarmed Black man in the back
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Officers need warrants to use aircraft, zoom lenses to surveil areas around homes, Alaska court says
Ranking
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied divorce after 11 years of marriage
- Tiger Woods won't play in the 2024 Players Championship
- Is TikTok getting shut down? Congress flooded with angry calls over possible US ban
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 vanished 10 years ago today. What have we learned about what happened?
- Queer Eye's Tan France Responds to Accusations He Had Bobby Berk Fired From Show
- OpenAI has ‘full confidence’ in CEO Sam Altman after investigation, reinstates him to board
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Summer House Star Paige DeSorbo Influenced Me To Buy These 52 Products
Dakota Johnson and Chris Martin Engaged: Inside Their Blissful Universe
Weather beatdown leaves towering Maine landmark surrounded by crime scene tape
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Queer Eye's Tan France Responds to Accusations He Had Bobby Berk Fired From Show
Millie Bobby Brown Claps Back on Strange Commentary About Her Accent
A bill that could lead to a nation-wide TikTok ban is gaining momentum. Here’s what to know