Current:Home > MyU.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base -Capitatum
U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 19:48:28
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon is working with Niger officials to find a way for U.S. troops to stay in the country — a key base for counterterrorism operations in sub-Saharan Africa — following a weekend directive that they leave.
Last week a high level-delegation of U.S. officials, including Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Phee, Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Celeste Wallander and the head of U.S. Africa Command Gen. Michael Langley, traveled to Niger to meet with members of the military junta.
Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said Monday the U.S. officials had “lengthy and direct” discussions with the junta officials that were also in part spurred by concerns over Niger’s potential relationships with Russia and Iran.
“We were troubled on the path that Niger is on,” Singh said.
On Saturday, following the meeting, the junta’s spokesperson, Col. Maj. Amadou Abdramane, said U.S. flights over Niger’s territory in recent weeks were illegal. Meanwhile, Insa Garba Saidou, a local activist who assists Niger’s military rulers with their communications, criticized U.S. efforts to force the junta to pick between strategic partners.
“The American bases and civilian personnel cannot stay on Nigerien soil any longer,” he told The Associated Press.
Singh said the U.S. was aware of the March 16 statement “announcing the end of the status of forces agreement between Niger and the United States. We are working through diplomatic channels to seek clarification. These are ongoing discussions and we don’t have more to share at this time.”
The junta has largely been in control in Niger since July when mutinous soldiers ousted the country’s democratically elected president and months later asked French forces to leave.
The U.S. military still had some 650 troops working in Niger in December, largely consolidated at a base farther away from Niamey, Niger’s capital. Singh said the total number of personnel still in country, including civilians and contractors, is roughly 1,000.
The Niger base is critical for U.S. counterterrorism operations in the Sahel and has been used for both manned and unmanned surveillance operations, although Singh said the only drone flights being currently conducted are for force protection.
In the Sahel the U.S. has also supported local ground troops, including accompanying them on missions. However, such accompanied missions have been scaled back since U.S. troops were killed in a joint operation in Niger in 2017.
veryGood! (34)
Related
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Saints again fizzle out tantalizingly close to pay dirt in a 2nd straight loss
- Questions linger after Connecticut police officers fatally shoot man in his bed
- Amazon launches drone delivery program for prescription medications
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Month after pig heart transplant, Maryland man pushing through tough physical therapy
- What is November's birthstone? Get to know the gem and its color.
- He was rejected by 14 colleges. Then Google hired him.
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- U.S., Israel say evidence shows Gaza militants responsible for deadly hospital blast
Ranking
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Tennessee Supreme Court delivers partial win for Airbnb in legal disputes with HOAs
- 'My benchmark ... is greatness': Raiders WR Davante Adams expresses frustration with role
- Fired at 50, she felt like she'd lost everything. Then came the grief.
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Britney Spears' abortion comments spark talk about men's role in reproductive health care
- Maluma Reveals He’s Expecting His First Baby With Girlfriend Susana Gomez in New Music Video
- Muslim organization's banquet canceled after receiving bomb threats
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
In Lebanon, thousands are displaced from border towns by clashes, stretching state resources
Lions' Amon-Ra St. Brown pays off friendly wager he quips was made 'outside the facility'
Police on the hunt for man after Maryland judge killed in his driveway
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Saints again fizzle out tantalizingly close to pay dirt in a 2nd straight loss
Kim Kardashian’s SKIMS Drops New Shapewear Collection That Looks Just Like Clothes
This flesh-eating parasite spread by sand flies has foothold in U.S., appears to be endemic in Texas, CDC scientists report