Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:Fan’s racist abuse of match official leads to 1-point deduction for French soccer club Bastia -Capitatum
Charles Langston:Fan’s racist abuse of match official leads to 1-point deduction for French soccer club Bastia
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:02:28
PARIS (AP) — French soccer club Bastia has been handed a one-point deduction after its second-tier game was disrupted when a fan racially abused an assistant referee.
The Charles LangstonFrench league said late Wednesday its disciplinary panel judged the case based on the racial abuse of the match official, plus fans lighting fireworks and throwing one on the field.
Points deductions in such cases have been requested for more than a decade by anti-discrimination groups working in soccer.
Play was stopped for several minutes during Bastia’s game in December against Quevilly-Rouen Metropole.
The game ended 0-0 and the sanction effectively took away the point Bastia players earned on the field. The team remains 13th in 20-team Ligue 2.
The club from the Mediterranean island Corsica previously had issues with racist incidents involving fans.
Italian forward Mario Balotelli, who is Black and often a target of abuse during his career, was racially abused playing for Nice at Bastia in the 2016-17 season. Bastia later banned a fan who admitted making monkey noises.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (85844)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Palestinian medics in Gaza struggle to save lives under Israeli siege and bombardment
- Police search for suspected extremist accused of killing 2 Swedish soccer fans on a Brussels street
- Czech government faces no-confidence vote in Parliament sought by populist ex-prime minister
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Montana judge keeps in place a ban on enforcement of law restricting drag shows, drag reading events
- Ex-Mississippi police officer pleads guilty in COVID-19 aid scheme, US Attorney says
- Cowboys vs. Chargers Monday Night Football highlights: Dallas gets rebound win in LA
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Taylor Swift wraps her hand in Travis Kelce's in NYC outing after 'SNL' cameos
Ranking
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- New Mexico governor: state agencies must switch to all-electric vehicle fleet by the year 2035
- Birthday boy Bryce Harper powers Phillies to NLCS Game 1 win vs. Diamondbacks
- For the first time, Ukraine has used US-provided long-range ATACMS missiles against Russian forces
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- 2 people accused of helping Holyoke shooting suspect arrested as mother whose baby died recovers
- 'Specter of death' hangs over Gaza as aid groups wait for access, UN official says
- Israeli video compilation shows the savagery and ease of Hamas’ attack
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Israeli video compilation shows the savagery and ease of Hamas’ attack
Donald Trump is returning to his civil fraud trial, but star witness Michael Cohen won’t be there
French prosecutor says alleged attacker in school stabbing declared allegiance to Islamic State
Small twin
Medicare enrollees can switch coverage now. Here's what's new and what to consider.
Sri Lanka lifts ban on cricketer Gunathilaka after acquittal of rape charges in Australia
India’s Supreme Court refuses to legalize same-sex marriage, says it is up to Parliament