Current:Home > InvestIndexbit Exchange:George Carlin estate sues over fake comedy special purportedly generated by AI -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:George Carlin estate sues over fake comedy special purportedly generated by AI
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 21:17:26
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Indexbit Exchangeestate of George Carlin has filed a lawsuit against the media company behind a fake hourlong comedy special that purportedly uses artificial intelligence to recreate the late standup comic’s style and material.
The lawsuit filed in federal court in Los Angeles on Thursday asks that a judge order the podcast outlet, Dudesy, to immediately take down the audio special, “George Carlin: I’m Glad I’m Dead,” in which a synthesis of Carlin, who died in 2008, delivers commentary on current events.
Carlin’s daughter, Kelly Carlin, said in a statement that the work is “a poorly-executed facsimile cobbled together by unscrupulous individuals to capitalize on the extraordinary goodwill my father established with his adoring fanbase.”
The Carlin estate and its executor, Jerold Hamza, are named as plaintiffs in the suit, which alleges violations of Carlin’s right of publicity and copyright. The named defendants are Dudesy and podcast hosts Will Sasso and Chad Kultgen.
“None of the Defendants had permission to use Carlin’s likeness for the AI-generated ‘George Carlin Special,’ nor did they have a license to use any of the late comedian’s copyrighted materials,” the lawsuit says.
The defendants have not filed a response to the lawsuit and it was not clear whether they have retained an attorney. They could not immediately be reached for comment.
At the beginning of the special posted on YouTube on Jan. 9, a voiceover identifying itself as the AI engine used by Dudesy says it listened to the comic’s 50 years of material and “did my best to imitate his voice, cadence and attitude as well as the subject matter I think would have interested him today.”
The plaintiffs say if that was in fact how it was created — and some listeners have doubted its stated origins — it means Carlin’s copyright was violated.
The company, as it often does on similar projects, also released a podcast episode with Sasso and Kultgen introducing and commenting on the mock Carlin.
“What we just listened to, was that passable,” Kultgen says in a section of the episode cited in the lawsuit.
“Yeah, that sounded exactly like George Carlin,” Sasso responds.
The lawsuit is among the first in what is likely to be an increasing number of major legal moves made to fight the regenerated use of celebrity images and likenesses.
The AI issue was a major sticking point in the resolution of last year’s Hollywood writers and actors strikes.
Josh Schiller, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said in a statement that the “case is not just about AI, it’s about the humans that use AI to violate the law, infringe on intellectual property rights, and flout common decency.”
veryGood! (869)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Score a Samsung Phone for $120, a $250 Coach Bag for $75, 25% Off Kylie Cosmetics & More Major Deals
- 2024 NFL free agency updates: Tracker for Thursday's biggest buzz, notable contracts
- Wide receiver Keenan Allen being traded from Chargers to Bears for a fourth-round pick
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Why John Legend Called Fellow The Voice Coaches Useless After This Battle Rounds Performance
- Apple to pay $490 million to settle allegations that it misled investors about iPhone sales in China
- 'Significant injuries' reported in Indiana amid tornado outbreak, police can't confirm deaths
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- 50 killed in anti-sorcery rituals after being forced to drink mysterious liquid, Angola officials say
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Meghan Trainor announces new album 'Timeless,' tour with Natasha Bedingfield
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Shares Why She Deleted Her Social Media Accounts
- Man wins $1 million on Mega Millions and proposes to longtime girlfriend
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer calls for new election in Israel amid increasing criticism of Netanyahu
- West Virginia Republican governor signs budget, vows to bring back lawmakers for fixes
- Wide receiver Keenan Allen being traded from Chargers to Bears for a fourth-round pick
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Commanders targeting QB with No. 2 pick? Washington trading Sam Howell to Seahawks, per reports
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, One Alarm (Freestyle)
New York City St. Patrick's Day parade 2024: Date, time, route, how to watch live
Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
Wendy Williams 'lacked capacity' when she agreed to film Lifetime doc, unsealed filings say
Feds pick New England’s offshore wind development area, drawing cheers and questions alike
U.K. high court rules Australian computer scientist is not bitcoin founder Satoshi Nakamoto