Current:Home > ContactTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Australia decides against canceling Chinese company’s lease of strategically important port -Capitatum
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Australia decides against canceling Chinese company’s lease of strategically important port
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:45:48
CANBERRA,TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center Australia (AP) — The Australian government announced Friday it has decided not to cancel a Chinese company’s 99-year lease on strategically important Darwin Port despite U.S. concerns that the foreign control could be used to spy on its military forces.
The Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet said it decided after an investigation of the eight-year-old lease that current monitoring and regulation measures are sufficient to manage security risks for critical infrastructure such as the port in the northern garrison city of Darwin.
“Australians can have confidence that their safety will not be compromised while ensuring that Australia remains a competitive destination for foreign investment,” it said in a statement.
Landbridge Industry Australia, a subsidiary of Rizhao-based Shandong Landbridge Group, signed the lease with the debt-laden Northern Territory government in 2015. That was three years after U.S. Marines began annual rotations through Darwin as part of the U.S. pivot to Asia.
The United States has raised concerns that Chinese port access in Darwin would enhance intelligence gathering on nearby U.S. and Australian military forces.
Landbridge said in a statement it hopes the decision will end security concerns.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s center-left Labor Party was in opposition at the time, and he had argued the lease should never have been allowed due to security concerns.
After Labor won elections last year, Albanese directed his department to investigate whether the lease should be changed or canceled.
The Australian decision comes before Albanese flies to Washington, D.C., next week to meet President Joe Biden.
Albanese also plans to soon become the first Australian prime minister to visit China in seven years.
Neil James, chief executive of the Australian Defense Association think tank, said regulation cannot solve the security risk posed by Chinese control of the port.
“Our problem is going to be if there’s ever any increased strategic tension with China and if we have to do something, even if it’s regulatory, it’s going to be escalatory and make the tension worse,” James said.
“The only way to avoid this problem is not to have the lease in the first place and they should bite the bullet and get rid of it,” James added.
Landbridge far outbid 32 other potential private investors with a 506 million Australian dollar ($360 million) offer for the aging infrastructure, the provincial government based in Darwin said at the time.
A month after the deal was announced, then U.S. President Barack Obama chided then Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull during a meeting in the Philippines over a lack of consultation with the United States.
Obama told Turnbull that Washington should have been given a “heads up about these sorts of things,” The Australian Financial Review newspaper reported, citing unidentified sources.
“Let us know next time,” Obama was quoted as saying.
Turnbull told reporters the port’s privatization had not been a secret.
“The fact that Chinese investors were interested in investing in infrastructure in Australia is also hardly a secret,” Turnbull said.
“And under our legislation, the Department of Defense or this federal government can step in and take control of infrastructure like this in circumstances where it’s deemed necessary for purposes of defense,” Turnbull added.
The Defense Department and the Australian Security Intelligence Organization, the main domestic spy agency, have since publicly supported the contract, which was signed a year after Chinese President Xi Jinping visited Australia in a highwater mark in bilateral relations.
Relations have plummeted since, although there have been signs of stabilization since the current Australian government’s election.
A parliamentary committee recommended in 2021 that the then government consider restoring Australian control of the port if the lease were contrary to the national interest. The government responded by holding a review that found no grounds for ending the lease.
But the federal regulator of foreign ownership, the Foreign Investment Review Board, gained new powers to block similar deals in the future.
The board could not intervene in the Darwin Port deal because the asset was government-owned rather than privately owned and was leased rather than sold.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- The 2024 Oscar Nominations Are Finally Here
- Central Wisconsin police officer fatally shoots armed person at bar
- Caitlin Clark incident at Ohio State raises concerns about how to make storming court safe
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- RHOBH: Crystal Kung Minkoff Said What About Her Fellow Housewives?!
- Ex-NBA guard Kevin Porter Jr. reaches plea deal, avoids jail time in NYC domestic assault case
- Charles Osgood, CBS host on TV and radio and network’s poet-in-residence, dies at age 91
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Adrian Beltré, Todd Helton and Joe Mauer elected to baseball’s Hall of Fame
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Years of Missouri Senate Republican infighting comes to a breaking point, and the loss of parking
- IRS will start simplifying its notices to taxpayers as agency continues modernization push
- How do I ask an employer to pay for relocation costs? Ask HR
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Martin Luther King Jr.’s Son Dexter Scott King Dead at 62 After Cancer Battle
- Nearly 1,000 manatees have record-breaking gathering at Florida state park amid ongoing mortality event
- Bucks fire coach Adrian Griffin after 43 games despite having one of NBA’s top records
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
When is the next primary after New Hampshire? Here are the dates for upcoming 2024 Republican elections
‘Gone Mom’ prosecutors show shirt, bra, zip ties they say link defendant to woman’s disappearance
San Diegans cry, hug, outside damaged homes after stunning flash floods in normally balmy city
Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
At his old school, term-limited North Carolina governor takes new tack on public education funding
eBay to lay off 1,000 workers as tech job losses continue in the new year
Spanish police arrest suspect in killing of 3 siblings over debts reportedly linked to romance scam