Current:Home > MyA Dutch court has sentenced a man convicted in a notorious Canadian cyberbullying case to 6 years -Capitatum
A Dutch court has sentenced a man convicted in a notorious Canadian cyberbullying case to 6 years
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 06:21:34
AMSTERDAM (AP) — A Dutch man, who was convicted in British Columbia of charges including extortion and harassment related to a Canadian teenager who took her own life after he blackmailed her online, had his sentence cut Thursday by an Amsterdam court from 13 years to six.
Aydin Coban wasn’t present in Amsterdam District Court for a brief hearing to announce the sentence. His lawyer, Robert Malewicz, said he would appeal the decision to the Dutch Supreme Court.
Coban was extradited from the Netherlands to Canada in 2020 to stand trial on charges linked to Amanda Todd, who took her own life in 2012 at the age of 15 after posting a video that described being tormented by an online harasser. Coban was born in 1978, according to court documents, making him 44 or 45.
He was sent to Canada on condition that his sentence would be served in a Dutch prison. That also meant that prison time imposed by the British Columbia Supreme Court last year had to be converted into a sentence in the Netherlands.
In July, Dutch prosecutors said the Canadian sentence should be cut to four-and-a-half years, in line with sentencing guidelines in the Netherlands and time he had spent in tough conditions in a Canadian jail.
The court ruling didn’t take into account his time behind bars in Canada and sentenced him to the maximum possible six years.
Coban is serving an 11-year sentence in the Netherlands after being convicted on similar charges involving the online extortion of 33 young girls and gay men. The sentence imposed Thursday will be served after he completes his current prison time next year.
Malewicz had called the Canadian sentence “exorbitantly high, even by Canadian standards” and said Coban shouldn’t get any extra prison time, but if the court decided to give him prison time, it should be no more than one year with six months suspended.
“We will go to the Supreme Court,” he told reporters after Thursday’s brief hearing.
Todd’s suicide brought the problem of cyberbullying to mainstream attention in Canada after the Port Coquitlam teen posted a video on YouTube in which she used handwritten signs to describe how she was lured by a stranger to expose her breasts on a webcam.
The picture ended up on a Facebook page, to which her friends were added.
She was repeatedly bullied, despite changing schools, before finally taking her own life weeks after posting the video.
Last year, a jury in British Columbia last year convicted Coban of all charges he faced, including communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence and possession and distribution of child pornography.
Sentencing Coban last year, Canadian Justice Martha Devlin said that the “serious impact of the offences on Amanda was obvious to Mr. Coban and would have been obvious to anyone at the time.”
She added that “ruining Amanda’s life was Mr. Coban’s expressly stated goal. Sadly, one that he achieved.”
veryGood! (547)
Related
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Tony Bennett's daughters sue their siblings, alleging they're mishandling the singer's family trust
- Former ICU nurse arrested on suspicion of replacing fentanyl with tap water
- Katie Ledecky, Caeleb Dressel lead stars at 2024 US Olympic swimming trials
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- After 'melancholic' teen years, 'Inside Out 2' star Maya Hawke embraces her anxiety
- See Savannah Guthrie's Son Adorably Crash the Today Show Set With Surprise Visit
- Zac Efron Reacts to Ex Vanessa Hudgens Becoming a Mom as She Expects First Baby With Husband Cole Tucker
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- MLB draft's top prospects in 2024 College World Series: Future stars to watch in Omaha
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- How the group behind the Supreme Court abortion drug case is expanding its fight globally
- R.E.M. reunite at Songwriters Hall of Fame ceremony also honoring Timbaland and Steely Dan
- Shoppers Say This Peter Thomas Roth Serum Makes Them Look Younger in 2 Days & It’s 60% off Right Now
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Virginia city repeals ban on psychic readings as industry grows and gains more acceptance
- Demolition of the Parkland classroom building where 17 died in 2018 shooting begins
- Dozens of hikers sickened after visiting Grand Canyon's Havasupai Falls
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
6 minors charged in 15-year-old boy's drowning death in Georgia
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Bubble Pop (Freestyle)
Jenelle Evans Shares Update on Her Kids After Breakup From “Emotionally Abusive” David Eason
British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
A Virginia school board restored Confederate names. Now the NAACP is suing.
Army Corps finds soil contaminated under some St. Louis-area homes, but no health risk
'Sopranos' doc reveals 'truth' about the ending, 'painful' moments for James Gandolfini