Current:Home > NewsRapper Travis Scott is questioned over deadly crowd surge at Texas festival in wave of lawsuits -Capitatum
Rapper Travis Scott is questioned over deadly crowd surge at Texas festival in wave of lawsuits
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 06:04:33
HOUSTON (AP) — Rap superstar Travis Scott was questioned on Monday in a deposition he is giving in connection with hundreds of lawsuits that were filed against him and others over the deaths and injuries at the 2021 Astroworld festival.
Scott was questioned in Houston during a deposition that could take several days to complete, two people with knowledge about the litigation said.
Lawyers and others connected to the lawsuits are under a gag order, preventing them from saying little beyond what happens during court hearings.
An attorney for Scott did not immediately return an email seeking comment. A spokesperson for Scott said a statement about Monday’s deposition was being prepared.
This was the first time Scott was questioned by attorneys for those who have filed lawsuits since a crowd surge at his Nov. 5, 2021, concert in Houston killed 10 festivalgoers.
Those killed, who ranged in age from 9 to 27, died from compression asphyxia, which an expert likened to being crushed by a car.
Similar crushes have happened all over the world, from a soccer stadium in England to the hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia to Halloween festivities in the South Korean capital. Most people who who die in crowd surges suffocate.
Scott’s deposition comes as a judge earlier this year scheduled the first trial from the lawsuits for May 6, 2024. That first trial would take place nearly 2.5 years since the deadly concert.
Documents filed in court in April listed more than 1,500 active cases, many of which were filed against Scott and Live Nation, the concert promoter.
Of these, 992 were cases with physical injuries and 313 were cases of “emotional distress, pain, suffering and mental anguish.” Orthopedic surgeries have been completed in 17 of these cases, with other surgeries recommended in another 21.
Some of the lawsuits have since been settled, including those filed by the families of three of the people killed during the concert.
In June, a grand jury in Houston declined to indict Scott and five other people on any criminal charges related to the deadly concert.
Scott’s deposition on Monday took place on the same day that hip-hop artist Drake, who performed several songs with Scott during the Astroworld concert, was performing in Houston. Drake was also sued in connection with the deadly concert.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- MLS Matchday 5: Columbus Crew face surprising New York Red Bulls. Lionel Messi out again for Inter Miami.
- 'Giant hybrid sheep' created on Montana ranch could bring prison time for 80-year-old breeder
- Judge mulls third contempt case against Arizona for failing to improve prison health care
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Rita Moreno Credits This Ageless Approach to Life for Her Longevity
- Former Massachusetts transit officer convicted of raping 2 women in 2012
- Donald Trump wanted trial delays, and he’s getting them. Hush-money case is latest to be put off
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Q&A: What’s So Special About a New ‘Eye in the Sky’ to Track Methane Emissions
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Great Value cashews sold at Walmart stores in 30 states recalled, FDA says
- Long recovery ahead for some in path of deadly tornados in central U.S.
- A Georgia senator was exiled from the GOP caucus. Now Colton Moore is banned from the state House.
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Fast-moving fire damages commercial freighter at Ohio port, but no injuries reported
- Kristen Doute Reveals Her Honest Opinion on Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright's Breakup
- Maui’s mayor prioritizes housing and vows to hire more firefighters after Lahaina wildfire
Recommendation
Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
Shakira Says She Put Her Career on Hold for Ex Gerard Piqué Before Breakup
Judge appoints special master to oversee California federal women’s prison after rampant abuse
Parents of school shooting victims vow more action - even after shooter's parents convicted
RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
Get Your Carts Ready! Free People’s Sale Is Heating Up, With Deals of up to 95% Off
TikTok creators warn of economic impact if app sees ban, call it a vital space for the marginalized
Home sellers cut list prices amid higher mortgage rates as spring buying season begins