Current:Home > FinanceBenjamin Ashford|New round of Epstein documents offer another look into his cesspool of sexual abuse -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|New round of Epstein documents offer another look into his cesspool of sexual abuse
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:20:21
NEW YORK (AP) — Nearly 100 more court files were unsealed Friday in a lawsuit involving Jeffrey Epstein,Benjamin Ashford providing yet more detail about the late millionaire financier’s sexual abuse of underage girls and interactions with celebrities.
The latest round of documents included additional excerpts of testimony from people who worked for Epstein, copies of phone messages he received — including one from film producer Harvey Weinstein — and lots of legal memos with lawyers discussing who could potentially have been called as a witness in his case, if it ever went to trial.
No new blockbuster revelations were immediately apparent, and lots of the records covered material that has been the subject of many past news stories about Epstein and his victims. But like other documents previously made public in lawsuits related to Epstein, they provide a window into the rarified world he inhabited.
The records are all related to a defamation lawsuit that one of Epstein’s victims, Virginia Giuffre, filed in 2015 against the millionaire’s girlfriend, Ghislaine Maxwell, who was accused by multiple women of helping Epstein recruit underage victims. Maxwell is serving a 20 year prison sentence.
Here are some takeaways from the latest batch of released documents:
PRINCE ANDREW
The records released Friday include the 2009 deposition of a former housekeeper at Epstein’s home in Palm Beach, Florida, who talked about how much time the financier spent with Prince Andrew, the British royal who was a longtime friend of Maxwell’s.
Juan Alessi testified that “Prince Andrew spent weeks with us” and when he visited, he would receive daily massages at the mansion.
Alessi said Andrew would stay in the main guest bedroom, which he described as “the blue room.” He recalled seeing Andrew’s former wife, Sarah Ferguson, on one occasion, but added, “I don’t think she slept in there.”
Alessi also remembered seeing other celebrities including Donald Trump and “a lot of queens and other famous people that I can’t remember.”
Trump, whose Mar-a-Lago club is also in Palm Beach, would come over to Epstein’s home for dinner, Alessi said, but he “never sat at the table,” dining instead with Alessi in the kitchen. Asked whether Trump ever received massages, he said, “No. Because he’s got his own spa.”
Alessi, who worked at Epstein’s sprawling home from 1990 to 2002, previously testified at Maxwell’s 2021 trial that he saw “many, many, many” young adult female visitors, often lounging topless by the pool. He also admitted to stealing $6,300 from Epstein’s desk.
Prince Andrew was publicly criticized when photos emerged of him visiting Epstein in New York even after the financier was imprisoned in Florida for a sex crime.
Giuffre sued Andrew, accusing him of sexually abusing her when she was 17. Andrew said he didn’t remember ever meeting Giuffre. The lawsuit was settled in 2022 without ever going to trial, but the allegations damaged his public standing and led Andrew to withdraw from some royal duties.
The Associated Press typically does not name people who say they are the victims of sexual abuse unless they have come forward publicly with their story, as Giuffre has.
PHONE RECORDS
One document unsealed Friday contains copies of phone messages Epstein received, handwritten by staffers, in 2004, a year before police in Palm Beach started investigating allegations that he was paying underage girls for sex.
At the time, Epstein was getting attention for hobnobbing with the rich and powerful, offering free rides on his private jet to celebrities including former President Bill Clinton and actor Kevin Spacey.
The phone messages, while mostly mundane, give a small taste of those associations.
“She had on the phone Mr. Harvey Weinstein,” reads one message about a missed call.
Weinstein, then a force in Hollywood, was once part of a media investment group that included Epstein. Weinstein would be charged years later with raping and sexually assaulting women in the entertainment business and is serving lengthy prison terms after convictions in New York and Los Angeles.
Weinstein’s spokesman did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment Friday.
There are also several messages about missed calls from Jean-Luc Brunel, a French modeling agent who was close to Epstein. Brunel was awaiting trial on charges that he raped underage girls when he killed himself in a Paris jail in 2022.
RECRUITING YOUNG GIRLS
When Epstein was initially investigated by Palm Beach police in 2005, detectives spoke to a number of girls from an area high school who said they had been paid money to give massages to Epstein.
Tony Figueroa, who worked as a driver for Epstein and once dated Giuffre, talked about the effort to recruit those girls during his 2016 deposition.
“Jeffrey was giving us $200 apiece for every one that we brought over,” he said. “I would get friends that I went to school with and I would take them over there and introduce them, and then I would just leave.”
He said Maxwell would also call him occasionally, “asking me to get girls.”
Figueroa has told the same story in media interviews in the years since that deposition.
PUBLIC RELATIONS DISASTER
The legal storm that Epstein and Maxwell were facing is captured well in a Jan. 11, 2015, email by her attorney Philip Barden, who referred to Maxwell as “G,” and to Epstein as “JE.”
He urged a strong public response to Giuffre’s claims because silence was “reputational suicide.”
“Now it is reported that G engaged in direct abuse — as I feared would happen. Next reports to the authorities will be made,” Barden wrote in a message to an individual whose name was blacked, with Maxwell copied on the missive.
“It is necessary from a litigation, investigatory and reputational reason to issue a cogent denial. I can see why JE doesn’t want this as it may not suit him but he is already toast,” he added.
Four years later Epstein would be dead by suicide, found in a jail cell after he was arrested in July 2019 on sex trafficking charges. It would be two more years before a jury in New York agreed that Maxwell helped Epstein recruit and groom teenage girls for sexual abuse and sometimes joined in the abuse.
veryGood! (9557)
Related
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Detroit Lions fan wins $500,000 on football-themed scratch-off game after skipping trip
- A minimum wage increase for California health care workers is finally kicking in
- 'A Different Man' review: Sebastian Stan stuns in darkly funny take on identity
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- A Carbon Capture Monitoring Well Leaked in Illinois. Most Residents Found Out When the World Did
- Target's 2024 top toy list with LEGO, Barbie exclusives; many toys under $20
- Roots Actor John Amos’ Cause of Death Revealed
- Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
- DPR members talk Dream Reborn tour, performing: 'You realize it's not just about you'
Ranking
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Chappell Roan is getting backlash. It shows how little we know about mental health.
- Becky Hammon likens Liberty to Spurs as Aces trail 0-2: 'They feel like something was stolen'
- Opinion: Will Deion Sanders stay at Colorado? Keep eye on Coach Prime's luggage
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Heartbreak across 6 states: Here are some who lost lives in Hurricane Helene
- The fate of Nibi the beaver lands in court as rescuers try to stop her release into the wild
- Tropical Storm Leslie forms in the Atlantic and is expected to become a hurricane
Recommendation
Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
The fate of Nibi the beaver lands in court as rescuers try to stop her release into the wild
Officer saves missing 3-year-old child from potential drowning: Video captures dramatic rescue
Hurricane Helene brings climate change to forefront of the presidential campaign
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Love Is Blind's Hannah Reveals Her True Thoughts on Leo's Shouting Match
After Helene, a small North Carolina town starts recovery, one shovel of mud at a time
Teacher still missing after Helene floods pushed entire home into North Carolina river