Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|A Baltimore priest has been dismissed over 2018 sexual harassment settlement -Capitatum
Robert Brown|A Baltimore priest has been dismissed over 2018 sexual harassment settlement
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:31:51
BALTIMORE (AP) — A Benedictine monk has been suspended from ministry after the Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore recently became aware of a payment he made several years ago to settle sexual harassment allegations.
Last week,Robert Brown Father Paschal Morlino was dismissed from his position as pastor of St. Benedict Church in southwest Baltimore, where he served for nearly 40 years and became known for his longstanding efforts to help residents of poor neighborhoods surrounding the church.
The archdiocese learned about the settlement Thursday when reporters for The Baltimore Banner inquired about it, officials said in a statement Sunday. They said they immediately opened an internal investigation and decided to dismiss Morlino.
“He is no longer permitted to celebrate Mass or engage in public ministry in the Archdiocese,” the statement said.
Morlino, 85, has returned to Saint Vincent Archabbey in Pennsylvania, the oldest Benedictine monastery in the country, after both the Baltimore archdiocese and the Order of Saint Benedict made a joint decision to suspend his priestly faculties, officials said. The investigation is ongoing.
Kim Metzgar, communications director for Saint Vincent Archabbey, said she was unable to comment because of the ongoing investigation.
The archdiocese will appoint a new administrator to oversee Saint Benedict Church, which is owned and operated by the Benedictines, according to their statement.
Church officials disclosed few details about the 2018 complaint against Morlino, saying only that it focused on “alleged sexual harassment of an adult man” who had died before the complaint was filed. Officials said they were unable to corroborate the third-party allegations as a result.
In an interview last week with The Banner, Morlino confirmed the $200,000 settlement payment, denied any wrongdoing and said he had nothing to hide.
“I just wanted to keep him quiet, to be rid of him, because he was just stirring up trouble,” he told The Banner, referring to the complainant, who died in 2020.
An attorney who represented the man didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.
Morlino arrived at St. Benedict in 1984, a time of declining membership and waning interest in the church. In the years that followed, he led efforts to update and improve church buildings and strengthen the parish’s mission, according to their website.
Before coming to Baltimore, Morlino founded Adelphoi Village, a nonprofit child care agency that works with at-risk youth in Pennsylvania.
veryGood! (6797)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- 'The Golden Bachelor’ wedding: How to watch Gerry and Theresa's big day
- 'The Golden Bachelor’ wedding: How to watch Gerry and Theresa's big day
- U.S. appeals court grants Apple's request to pause smartwatch import ban
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Holiday travel difficult to impossible as blizzard conditions, freezing rain hit the Plains
- Amazon to show ads in Prime Video movies and shows starting January 29, 2024
- The New York Times sues ChatGPT creator OpenAI, Microsoft, for copyright infringement
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- T.J. Holmes needs to 'check out' during arguments with Amy Robach: 'I have to work through it'
Ranking
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Young Russian mezzo bids for breakout stardom in Met’s new ‘Carmen’
- Argentina’s unions take to the streets to protest president’s cutbacks, deregulation and austerity
- Social media companies made $11 billion in US ad revenue from minors, Harvard study finds
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Gaming proponents size up the odds of a northern Virginia casino
- Denver police investigating threats against Colorado Supreme Court justices after ruling disqualifying Trump from holding office
- YouTuber helps find man missing since 2013, locates human remains in Missouri pond: Police
Recommendation
Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
Democratic mayors renew pleas for federal help and coordination with Texas over migrant crisis
Gaston Glock, the Austrian developer of the Glock handgun, dies at 94
Gaming proponents size up the odds of a northern Virginia casino
Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
Can you use restaurant gift cards on DoorDash or Uber Eats? How to use your gift cards wisely
Logan Bowman, 5, went missing 20 years ago. Now his remains have been identified.
Is Caleb Williams playing in the Holiday Bowl? USC QB's status for matchup vs. Louisville