Current:Home > MarketsIndia tunnel collapse leaves 40 workers trapped for days, rescuers racing to bore through tons of debris -Capitatum
India tunnel collapse leaves 40 workers trapped for days, rescuers racing to bore through tons of debris
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:26:31
New Delhi — Rescue workers were battling Tuesday to reach 40 workers who had already been trapped for three days in an under-construction tunnel that partially collapsed in India's Uttarakhand state. The workers were left stuck in the tunnel after the partial collapse early on Sunday, but officials have said they're safe and being supplied with food, water and oxygen through a pipe.
Part of the three-mile highway tunnel caved in around 5:30 a.m. local time on Sunday. Rescue workers quickly tried to reach the men by clearing the pile of debris with large excavators, but the machines couldn't clear an escape route as more debris kept falling from the unstable terrain.
"This is a very challenging job because as we clear debris more debris is falling from the ceiling, so we are also trying to stop that by using cement," Mohsen Shahidi, a senior National Disaster Response Force officer, was quoted as saying by India's national ANI news agency.
On Tuesday, the rescuers decided to switch tactics. They started boring horizontally through the debris to insert a steel pipe, roughly a yard in diameter, with the goal being for the trapped workers to use the conduit as an escape route to crawl through.
The drilling machine was still tearing through the debris pile on Tuesday evening. It was hoped that the tactic — known in construction and rescue work as trenchless tunnelling — would reduce the risk of further structural instability and collapses as it does not involve significant earth excavation.
Rescuer workers said Tuesday that it was difficult to estimate how long it might take to get the escape pipe in place.
What caused the tunnel to collapse in the first place remained unclear, and federal Indian authorities formed a team of experts to investigate the accident.
Work on the road tunnel, which is intended to connect the towns of Silkyara and Dandalgaon, began in 2018. It was supposed to be completed last year but was delayed.
The tunnel is part of a federal government infrastructure project dubbed the Char Dham highway, which is aimed at improving connectivity between four popular Hindu pilgrimage sites in India's northern Himalayan region.
The project has faced criticism, including over hundreds of houses that were damaged by subsidence along the construction route.
Some environmental experts have also warned that the ecologically sensitive Himalayan region, which is prone to earthquakes, landslides and flooding, should not be disturbed for such large-scale infrastructure projects.
- In:
- India
- Rescue
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- NBA play-in tournament: 76ers snag No. 7 seed, Bulls KO Hawks behind Coby White's career night
- Why Even Stevens' Christy Carlson Romano Refuses to Watch Quiet on Set
- Harry Potter's Warwick Davis Mourns Death of Wife Samantha Davis at 53
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Family of Minnesota man shot to death by state trooper in traffic stop files civil rights lawsuit
- Debbie Allen says Whoopi Goldberg's 'A Different World' episode saved lives during HIV/AIDS epidemic
- After 40 years in Park City, Sundance exploring options for 2027 film festival and beyond
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- John Lennon and Paul McCartney's sons Sean and James release first song together
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Charli XCX, Troye Sivan announce joint Sweat concert tour: How to get tickets
- 1000-lb Sisters' Tammy Slaton Shares New Photos Amid Weight Loss Journey
- Minnesota Wild sign goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to one-year extension
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Air National Guard changes in Alaska could affect national security, civilian rescues, staffers say
- Woman who cut unborn baby from victim's womb with butcher knife, sentenced to 50 years
- Mike Johnson takes risk on separating Israel and Ukraine aid
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
South Carolina Republicans reject 2018 Democratic governor nominee’s bid to be judge
Louisiana bills seeking to place restrictions on where people can carry guns receive pushback
Alabama lawmakers reject bill to require release of police body camera video
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Blue Eyeshadow Is Having A Moment - These Are the Best Products You Need To Rock The Look
Man accused of pretending to be a priest to steal money across US arrested in California
NBA play-in tournament: 76ers snag No. 7 seed, Bulls KO Hawks behind Coby White's career night