Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:South Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:South Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 04:31:23
SEOUL,Indexbit Exchange South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s defense minister on Friday vowed massive retaliatory missile strikes on “the heart and head” of North Korea in the event of provocation, as the rivals escalate their rhetoric over their respective spy satellite launches in recent days.
The South Korean warning — unusually fiery rhetoric by Seoul directed at Pyongyang — came as the top security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan gathered in Seoul for talks to discuss North Korea’s evolving nuclear threats and other issues.
During a visit to the army’s missile strategic command, South Korean Defense Minister Shin Wonsik ordered command officers to maintain a readiness to fire precision-guided and powerful missiles at any time, according to his ministry.
Shin said the main role of the command is “lethally striking the heart and head of the enemy, though the types of its provocations can vary,” a ministry statement said.
Animosities between the two Koreas deepened after North Korea launched its first military reconnaissance satellite into space on Nov. 21 in violation of U.N. bans. South Korea, the U.S. and Japan strongly condemned the launch, viewing it as an attempt by the North to improve its missile technology as well as establish a space-surveillance system.
South Korea announced plans to resume front-line aerial surveillance in response. North Korea quickly retaliated by restoring border guard posts, according to Seoul officials. Both steps would breach a 2018 inter-Korean deal on easing front-line military tensions.
Last week, when South Korea also launched its first military spy satellite from California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base, North Korea slammed the U.S. for alleged double standards and warned of a possible grave danger to global peace.
In a statement Friday, Jo Chol Su, a senior North Korean Foreign Ministry official, said the North would make all available efforts to protect its national interests in the face of threats by hostile forces.
The national security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan are to hold their first trilateral meeting in six months in Seoul on Saturday.
Ahead of the three-way meeting, South Korean national security adviser Cho Tae-yong and his Japanese counterpart, Takeo Akiba, met bilaterally on Friday and reaffirmed a need to strengthen their cooperation with the U.S. to cope with with provocations by North Korea. Cho and U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan also met and affirmed that Seoul and Washington remain open to diplomacy with North Korea, according to South Korea’s presidential office.
Earlier Friday, South Korea’s Unification Ministry accused North Korea of property rights infringements by unilaterally using South Korean-owned equipment at a now-shuttered joint factory park in the North. The ministry also accused North Korea of dismantling the remains of a South Korean-built liaison office at the park that the North blew up during a previous period of tensions in 2020.
veryGood! (78)
Related
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Alec Baldwin headed to trial after judge rejects motion to dismiss charge
- Camila Cabello's 'racist' remarks resurface after Drake and Kendrick Lamar feud comments
- James Harden returns to Los Angeles in Clippers' first move of NBA free agency
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Omarosa slams Donald Trump's 'Black jobs' debate comments, compares remarks to 'slavery'
- Tim Scott has benefited from mentors along the way. He’s hoping for another helping hand
- Summer hours are a perk small businesses can offer to workers to boost morale
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Lautaro Martínez scores twice and Argentina playing without Messi beats Peru 2-0 to end group play
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- BET Awards 2024: See the Complete List of Winners
- Argentina vs. Peru live updates: Will Messi play? How to watch Copa América match tonight
- Who plays Carmy, Sydney and Richie in 'The Bear'? See the full Season 3 cast
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- LeBron James to free agency after declining Los Angeles Lakers contract option
- Tyla Wearing $230,000 Worth of Diamonds at 2024 BET Awards Is Pure ART
- Juan Estrada vs. Jesse 'Bam' Rodriguez live: Updates, card for WBC super flyweight title
Recommendation
American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
Cuba’s first transgender athlete shows the progress and challenges faced by LGBTQ people
US wants Boeing to plead guilty to fraud over fatal crashes, lawyers say
'Youth are our future'? Think again. LGBTQ+ youth activism is already making an impact.
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
2 police officers wounded, suspect killed in shooting in Waterloo, Iowa
Teofimo Lopez vs. Steve Claggett fight live updates: Round-by-round analysis of title bout
Who plays Carmy, Sydney and Richie in 'The Bear'? See the full Season 3 cast