Current:Home > MarketsNew York City is suing charter bus companies for transporting migrants from Texas -Capitatum
New York City is suing charter bus companies for transporting migrants from Texas
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 04:26:50
New York (AP) — New York City is suing more than a dozen charter bus companies for $700 million, accusing them of illegally transporting tens of thousands of migrants from the southern border to the city under the direction of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.
The lawsuit accuses 17 bus companies of participating in a “bad faith” relocation plan that violates state restrictions on abandoning “needy persons” in New York. It seeks financial damages to cover the cost of caring for an estimated 33,000 migrants that have arrived in the city on charter buses since the spring of 2022.
Filed in state court Thursday, the lawsuit marked the latest effort by a Democratic mayor to turn back busloads of asylum seekers sent by the Republican governor of Texas. The state has sent more than 95,000 migrants to so-called sanctuary cities, including New York, Chicago and Denver, in protest of President Joe Biden’s immigration policies, Abbott said last month.
Amid an increase in bus drop-offs, both New York City and Chicago announced new restrictions in recent weeks mandating the charter companies to provide advanced notice of their arrivals. Within days, many of the buses began leaving migrants in suburbs surrounding each city without prior notice, drawing anger from local officials.
On Thursday, New York City Eric Adams, a Democrat, said the city would no longer “bear the costs of reckless political ploys from the state of Texas alone,” adding the lawsuit should “serve as a warning to all those who break the law in this way.”
Some of the bus companies appeared caught off guard by the suit. “We don’t make policies,” said David Jones, an employee at Buckeye Coach LLC, one of the charter companies named in the lawsuit. “We are just a transportation company.”
Representatives for the other charter companies — most of which are based in Texas — either declined to comment or did not immediately respond to inquiries.
The recent focus on the private charter companies, the Adams administration said, was driven in part by legal protections afforded to the state of Texas under a doctrine known as sovereign immunity.
The lawsuit rests on a provision of state law that bars knowingly transferring “a needy person from out of state into this state for the purpose of making him a public charge.”
The suit cites a report finding that for the trips, the charter bus companies receive roughly $1,650 per person — far higher than the cost of a standard one-way bus ticket — as a testament to the companies’ “bad faith” involvement in the scheme.
In a statement, Gov. Abbott said the suit was a clear violation of the commerce clause, which guarantees the constitutional right to travel.
“Every migrant bused or flown to New York City did so voluntarily, after having been authorized by the Biden Administration to remain in the United States,” Abbott said. “As such, they have constitutional authority to travel across the country that Mayor Adams is interfering with.”
Murad Awawdeh, executive director of the New York Immigration Coalition, described the legal action as a distraction from the larger issues facing New York, arguing Mayor Adams should be focused on helping migrants get on their feet.
“This lawsuit is one more way for the mayor to scapegoat someone else for his lack of management of the situation,” Awawdeh said. “He needs to stop taking pages out of Governor Abbott’s playbook and step up and lead the city of New York.”
_____
Associated Press reporter David Collins contributed.
veryGood! (582)
prev:Travis Hunter, the 2
next:Travis Hunter, the 2
Related
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Suni Lee Details Having Mental Breakdown Night Before 2024 Olympic Team Finals
- PFF adds an in-game grading feature to its NFL analysis
- Dana Carvey talks 'top secret' Biden role on 'SNL': 'I've kept it under wraps for weeks'
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Why Real Housewives of Potomac's Karen Huger Feels Gratitude After DUI Car Accident
- Opinion: Fat Bear Week debuted with a violent death. It's time to give the bears guns.
- A 6-year-old girl was kidnapped in Arkansas in 1995. Police just named their prime suspect
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Parole rescinded for former LA police detective convicted of killing her ex-boyfriend’s wife in 1986
Ranking
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Sydney Sweeney Sets the Record Straight on Rumors About Her Fiancé Jonathan Davino
- How Black leaders in New York are grappling with Eric Adams and representation
- Luke Bryan Explains Why Beyoncé Was Snubbed at 2024 CMA Awards
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- NHL point projections, standings predictions: How we see 2024-25 season unfolding
- What NFL game is on today? Buccaneers at Falcons on Thursday Night Football
- Massachusetts governor puts new gun law into effect immediately
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
NHL predictions for 2024-25 season: Who will win Stanley Cup, top awards?
Opinion: College Football Playoff will be glorious – so long as Big Ten, SEC don't rig it
Reid Airport expansion plans call for more passenger gates, could reduce delays
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
TikTok star 'Mr. Prada' arrested after Baton Rouge therapist found dead in tarp along road
Padres sweep Braves to set up NLDS showdown vs. rival Dodgers: Highlights
Man who was mad about Chinese spy balloon is convicted of threatening former Speaker McCarthy