Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:36:37
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (845)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Reese Witherspoon and Gwyneth Paltrow Support Jennifer Garner After She Cries at Daughter's Graduation
- Vatican makes fresh overture to China, reaffirms that Catholic Church is no threat to sovereignty
- UN maritime tribunal says countries are legally required to reduce greenhouse gas pollution
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- A Missouri man has been in prison for 33 years. A new hearing could determine if he was wrongfully convicted.
- Stock market today: Asian shares edge lower after Wall Street sets more records
- Ex-Florida recruit Jaden Rashada sues coach Billy Napier, prominent booster over NIL deal
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Sherpa guide Kami Rita climbs Mount Everest for his record 30th time, his second one this month
Ranking
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Hawaii court orders drug companies to pay $916 million in Plavix blood thinner lawsuit
- Reese Witherspoon and Gwyneth Paltrow Support Jennifer Garner After She Cries at Daughter's Graduation
- Delaware lawmakers OK bill enabling board of political appointees to oversee hospital budgets
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Biden releasing 1 million barrels of gasoline from Northeast reserve in bid to lower prices at pump
- Mauricio Pochettino leaves Chelsea after one year as manager of the Premier League club
- Caitlin Clark's Latest Basketball Achievement Hasn't Been Done Since Michael Jordan
Recommendation
Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
Pope Francis speaks about his health and whether he'd ever retire
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs accused of 2003 sexual assault in lawsuit
From London to Los Angeles, many Iranians overseas cheer, and fear, after president’s death
Sam Taylor
Get Ready to Turn Heads: The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Collection Makes Waves on Amazon
Japan racks up trade deficit as imports balloon due to cheap yen
Flight attendant or drug smuggler? Feds charge another air crew member in illicit schemes