Current:Home > StocksAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-US Forest Service sued over flooding deaths in the wake of New Mexico’s largest recorded wildfire -Capitatum
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-US Forest Service sued over flooding deaths in the wake of New Mexico’s largest recorded wildfire
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:00:13
ALBUQUERQUE,Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center N.M. (AP) — Relatives of three people who died last year in a flash flood stemming from the largest wildfire in New Mexico’s recorded history are suing the U.S. Forest Service.
The wrongful death lawsuit filed earlier this month alleges the Forest Service was negligent in the management of the prescribed burn and also failed to close roads and prevent access to areas at risk for flooding that followed the Hermit’s Peak/Calf Canyon Fire.
The three West Texas residents were staying at a family cabin in northern New Mexico in July 2022 when monsoon rains hit the burn scar near Tecolote Creek. That created a flash flood that swept the three victims to their deaths.
According to the Albuquerque Journal, the lawsuit also contends that the Forest Service failed to provide adequate warnings to the victims about the dangers caused by the wildfire and the dangers of potential flooding in the area.
Neither the Forest Service nor its parent agency, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, has formally responded to the lawsuit so far.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture didn’t provide a settlement offer or denial of claims initially filed in the case earlier this year, according to the lawsuit.
The blaze burned more than 533 square miles (1,380 square kilometers) in San Miguel, Mora and Taos counties. Authorities said an improperly extinguished pile burn operation rekindled and merged with another prescribed fire that went awry, destroying about 900 structures, including several hundred homes. No deaths were reported while the fire raged for months.
Congress set aside nearly $4 billion to compensate victims. FEMA has said its claims office has paid more than $101 million so far for losses, but many families have complained that the federal government is not acknowledging the extent of the damage or the emotional toll the fire has had on families whose ties to the land go back generations.
veryGood! (457)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Savannah picks emancipated Black woman to replace name of slavery advocate on historic square
- North West Recreates Kanye West’s Classic Polo Look During Tokyo Trip With Mom Kim Kardashian
- Nationals' Stone Garrett carted off field after suffering serious leg injury vs. Yankees
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Connecticut officer submitted fake reports on traffic stops that never happened, report finds
- Journalism has seen a substantial rise in philanthropic spending over the past 5 years, a study says
- 'Bachelorette' Gabby Windey says this Netflix reality show inspired her to explore her bisexuality
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Grand jury declines to indict officer in fatal Kentucky police shooting of armed Black man
Ranking
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Devastating losses: Economic toll from fires in Maui at least $4B, according to Moody's
- Reneé Rapp Says She Was Body-Shamed While Working on Broadway's Mean Girls
- Riverdale Season 7 Finale Reveals These Characters Were in a Quad Relationship
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- Michael Oher in new court filing: Tuohys kept him 'in the dark' during conservatorship
- Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl jams with Taylor Hawkins cover band: Watch here
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly decline ahead of Federal Reserve’s Powell speech
Recommendation
How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
Video of fatal Tennessee traffic stop shows car speeding off but not deputy’s shooting of driver
Terry Dubrow Reveals Romantic Birthday Plans With Wife Heather After Life-Threatening Blood Clot Scare
BTK serial killer is in the news again. Here’s why and some background about his case
NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
The viral song 'Rich Men North of Richmond' made its way to the RNC debate stage
BTK serial killer Dennis Rader named 'prime suspect' in 2 cold cases in Oklahoma, Missouri
Support grows for sustainable development, a ‘bioeconomy,’ in the Amazon