Current:Home > StocksChina says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing -Capitatum
China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 00:36:13
BEIJING — China accused the Philippines on Friday (Dec 13) of having "provoked trouble" in the South China Sea with US backing, a week after Beijing and Manila traded accusations over a new confrontation in the disputed waters.
"The Philippine side, with US support and solicitation, has been stirring up trouble in many spots in the South China Sea," Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's defence ministry, said on its official WeChat account.
"The Philippines is well aware that the scope of its territory is determined by a series of international treaties and has never included China's" Spratly Islands and Scarborough Shoal, he added.
Beijing and Manila have been involved this year in a series of confrontations at reefs and outcrops in the South China Sea, which China claims almost in its entirety.
The Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim parts of the sea. They are concerned China's expansive claim encroaches into their exclusive economic zones (EEZ), non-territorial waters that extend 200 nautical miles (370 km) from the coasts of a nation's land.
The Philippines' National Maritime Council and its National Security Council did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the latest remarks from Beijing.
The US Navy's 7th Fleet also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Philippines officials said last week that Chinese coast guard vessels had fired water cannon and side-swiped a Manila fisheries bureau boat on the way to deliver supplies to Filipino fishermen around the Scarborough Shoal, a move that drew condemnation from the US
China's Coast Guard said that four Philippine ships had attempted to enter waters it described as its own around the Scarborough Shoal, which Beijing calls Huangyan Island.
China submitted nautical charts earlier this month to the United Nations that it said supported its claims to the waters, which a 2016 international tribunal found to be a long established fishing ground for fishermen of many nationalities.
Following the charts' submission, a spokesperson for the Philippines' National Maritime Council, said China's claims were baseless and illegal.
The 2016 tribunal ruled that China's claim had no basis under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), and that its blockade around the Scarborough Shoal was in breach of international law.
Beijing has never recognised the decision.
Sovereignty over the Scarborough Shoal has never been established.
The Philippines and other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations have spent years negotiating a code of conduct with Beijing for the strategic waterway, with some nations in the bloc insisting that it be based on UNCLOS.
EEZs give the coastal nation jursidiction over living and nonliving resources in the water and on the ocean floor.
[[nid:712152]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Senegal opposition party sponsoring new candidate Faye after court blocks jailed leader Sonko’s bid
- Online abuse of politically active Afghan women tripled after Taliban takeover, rights group reports
- The Albanian opposition disrupts a Parliament vote on the budget with flares and piled-up chairs
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Here are the Books We Love: 380+ great 2023 reads recommended by NPR
- Fires in Brazil threaten jaguars, houses and plants in the world’s largest tropical wetlands
- Ousted OpenAI leader Sam Altman joins Microsoft
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Man fatally shot by New Hampshire police following disturbance and shelter-in-place order
Ranking
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- More military families are using food banks, pantries to make ends meet. Here's a look at why.
- Paul Azinger out as NBC golf analyst as 5-year contract not renewed
- Donna Kelce Proves Jason and Travis Kelce's Bond Extends Far Beyond Football
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Honda recalls nearly 250,000 cars, SUVs and pickup trucks
- Fantasy Football: 5 players to pick up on the waiver wire ahead of Week 12
- Severe storms delay search for 12 crew missing after Turkish cargo ship sinks in Black Sea
Recommendation
US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
How to avoid talking politics at Thanksgiving? Consider a 'NO MAGA ALLOWED' sign.
Chargers coach Brandon Staley gets heated in postgame exchange after loss to Packers
Netanyahu says there were strong indications Hamas hostages were held in Gaza's Al-Shifa Hospital
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Pregnant Jessie James Decker Appears to Hint at Sex of Baby No. 4 in Sweet Family Photo
US calls Nicaragua’s decision to leave Organization of American States a ‘step away from democracy’
Jimmy Johnson to be inducted into Cowboys' Ring of Honor in long-awaited move