Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|Palestinian security force deploys in school compound in Lebanon refugee camp following clashes -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Palestinian security force deploys in school compound in Lebanon refugee camp following clashes
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 22:52:37
SIDON,Poinbank Exchange Lebanon (AP) — A Palestinian security force deployed Friday in a school complex in Lebanon’s largest Palestinian refugee camp in the country’s south, replacing gunmen who had occupied it since fighting broke out in late July leaving more than 30 people dead.
The deployment raises hopes that a nearly two-week cease-fire in the Ein el-Hilweh camp, near the southern port city of Sidon, will hold. On Sept. 14, members of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah group and two Islamic militant factions, Jund al Sham and Shabab al Muslim, agreed to a cessation of hostilities.
The complex includes eight schools. The U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, has been urging gunmen to evacuate the compound ahead of the school year that is supposed to start in early October.
In the afternoon, the security force, consisting of 55 fighters from factions including Hamas, the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine and Asbat al-Ansar, took over the badly damaged compound. Some of the school walls were riddled with bullets and rockets.
In late July, Fatah accused the Islamic groups of gunning down a senior Fatah military official, Abu Ashraf al-Armoushi, triggering intense street battles . Several cease-fires were agreed but collapsed. The militants have still not handed over al-Armoushi’s killers.
The commander of Shabab al Muslim, Haitham al-Shaabi told reporters that “the situation in the camp will soon return to normal.” He refused to answer questions related to the handover of al-Armoushi’s killers.
The latest cease-fire agreement, reached on Sept. 14, came after clashes that killed at least 18 people and wounded more than 100. The previous round of fighting earlier in the summer killed at least 13.
This week, UNRWA said that more than 11,000 Palestinian children in south Lebanon will not be able to join their peers at the beginning of the school year on Oct. 2. This is a quarter of refugee school children and is due to clashes in Ein el-Hilweh, UNRWA said.
UNRWA’s director in Lebanon Dorothee Klaus said earlier this week that the agency was forced to take this decision given “all our eight schools inside the camp have been taken over by armed groups.” She added that the schools have sustained significant damage.
Since the fighting began in late July, at least 4,000 people have been forced to flee their homes in the camp, with many of them seeking refuge in UNRWA facilities.
veryGood! (982)
Related
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- Boston Celtics will aim to keep NBA playoff road success going in Dallas
- Massive grave slabs recovered from UK's oldest shipwreck
- See What the Class Has Been Up to Since Graduating Boy Meets World
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Watch: 'Delivery' man wearing fake Amazon vest steals package from Massachusetts home
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Use the Right Pronouns
- As consumers pump the brakes on EV purchases, hybrid production ramps up
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Katie Holmes Makes Rare Comment About Daughter Suri While Reflecting on Style Evolution
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Taylor Swift pauses Scotland Eras Tour show until 'the people in front of me get help'
- The far right’s election gains rattle EU’s traditional powers, leading Macron to call snap polls
- Youth sports' highs and lows on full display in hockey: 'Race to the bottom'
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Lewiston survivors consider looming election as gun control comes to forefront after mass shooting
- Florida authorities warn of shark dangers along Gulf Coast beaches after 3 people are attacked
- In Brazil’s Semi-Arid Region, Small Farmers Work Exhausted Lands, Hoping a New Government Will Revive the War on Desertification
Recommendation
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
Celebrities need besties too: A look at famous duos on National Best Friends Day 2024
Inflation data this week could help determine Fed’s timetable for rate cuts
After being diagnosed with MS, he started running marathons. It's helping reverse the disease's progression.
Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
Man convicted for role in 2001 stabbing deaths of Dartmouth College professors released from prison
Shark attacks in Florida, Hawaii lead to closed beaches, hospitalizations: What to know
Takeaways from Hunter Biden’s gun trial: His family turns out as his own words are used against him