Current:Home > Contact5 members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey team to face sexual assault charges, report says -Capitatum
5 members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey team to face sexual assault charges, report says
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:29:01
Five members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey championship team have been told to report to the police in London, Ontario, to face sexual assault charges, according to the Globe and Mail newspaper.
That team has been under investigation for an alleged sexual assault of a woman in a hotel room after a Hockey Canada gala in the Canadian city in June 2018.
The newspaper said the five players, who were not identified, had not been charged and had a set period of time to report to police headquarters. The Globe and Mail cited two people with knowledge of the situation who it did not name because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the case.
"We are unable to provide an update at this time," a London police department spokesperson said in an email to USA TODAY Sports. "When there is further information to share regarding this investigation, we will be in contact with media outlets."
The department said on its website that it expects to hold a news conference on Feb. 5.
The NHL and the NHL Players' Association said they had no comment at this time.
What is the history of the investigation?
Canadian network TSN reported in May 2022 that an undisclosed settlement had been paid to a woman who alleged in a $3.55 million lawsuit that she was sexually assaulted by eight players — including members of the country’s gold medal-winning world junior championship team — after a 2018 Hockey Canada gala in London.
Further reporting by TSN showed that Hockey Canada's National Equity Fund had been used to settle sexual assault claims. The organization announced in July 2022 that an independent investigation had been launched into the 2018 team and promised reforms, including training on sexual violence and consent. Executives and board members have since stepped down.
Later that July, Hockey Canada said it was informed by TSN reporter Rick Westhead about an alleged group sexual assault at the 2003 world junior tournament in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said that July that the league was also looking into the allegations and that he expected full cooperation.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in June 2023 that the investigation was done and the league expected to have a report available for review in the summer.
Hockey Canada receives independent report
Hockey Canada said on Nov. 14 that an independent group's hearing into the case had been completed and the report had been turned over to the involved parties.
However, because of an appeal, Hockey Canada said the findings couldn't be released at that time. It expected the appeal to be heard soon.
"Hockey Canada has cooperated fully with the London Police Service throughout its investigation and we are committed to continuing to support the legal process," the organization said in a statement. "We confirmed with the London Police Service in advance that an announcement concerning the independent adjudicative panel will not affect its investigation.
"Pending the completion of the appeal process, all players from the 2018 National Junior Team remain suspended by Hockey Canada and are currently ineligible to play, coach, officiate or volunteer with Hockey Canada-sanctioned programs."
veryGood! (565)
Related
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- WT Finance Institute, the Cradle of Financial Elites
- US aims to stay ahead of China in using AI to fly fighter jets, navigate without GPS and more
- NCAA softball tournament bracket: Texas gets top seed; Oklahoma seeks 4th straight title
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- How Meghan Markle's Angelic Look in Nigeria Honors Princess Diana
- Somalia wants to terminate the UN political mission assisting peace efforts in the country
- US airlines are suing the Biden administration over a new rule to make certain fees easier to spot
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Mother's Day traditions differ across the world — see how other families celebrate
Ranking
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Florida Panthers rally for win in Boston, put Bruins on brink of NHL playoff elimination
- Dutch contestant Joost Klein kicked out of Eurovision hours before contest final
- Rise in UK knife attacks leads to a crackdown and stokes public anxiety
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un oversees latest test of new multiple rocket launcher
- Man's best friend: Dog bites man's face, helps woman escape possible assault
- Poland’s prime minister vows to strengthen security at EU border with Belarus
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Flash floods in northern Afghanistan sweep away livelihoods, leaving hundreds dead and missing
Pregnant Lea Michele Reveals Sex of Baby No. 2
Nigeria’s fashion and dancing styles in the spotlight as Harry, Meghan visit its largest city
IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
Florida Panthers rally for win in Boston, put Bruins on brink of NHL playoff elimination
2024 NBA mock draft: Atlanta Hawks projected to take Alex Sarr with No. 1 pick
Katy Perry Shares Unseen Footage From Pregnancy Journey With Daughter Daisy