Current:Home > MyWander Franco released while Dominican probe continues into alleged relationship with 14-year-old -Capitatum
Wander Franco released while Dominican probe continues into alleged relationship with 14-year-old
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:36:27
PUERTO PLATA, Dominican Republic (AP) – A judge on Friday ordered the conditional release of Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco while he is investigated for allegations he had a relationship with a 14-year-old girl and gave her mother a car and thousands of dollars in exchange for her consent, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press.
The judge said Franco is allowed to leave the Dominican Republic but must return once a month to meet with authorities. He also was ordered to pay 2 million Dominican pesos ($34,000) as a type of deposit as the investigation continues.
Franco, who was expected to be released early Saturday, did not speak to reporters after the hearing ended. During a bathroom break earlier in the day, he briefly told reporters that “everything is in God’s hands.”
Supporters who gathered outside the courthouse clapped after the ruling and shouted “Boss! Boss!” in reference to Franco. Franco’s father, also named Wander Franco, exclaimed, “God is just.”
The 22-year-old All-Star is accused of commercial sexual exploitation and money laundering. The judge in the case, Rumaldi Marcelino, had several options for a ruling Friday: release Franco on bond, temporarily arrest him, prevent him from leaving the Dominican Republic or demand that he make occasional appearances until the investigation or a trial has ended.
HOT STOVE UPDATES: MLB free agency: Ranking and tracking the top players available.
The girl’s 35-year-old mother, who faces the same charges as Franco, was ordered held under house arrest as the investigation continues. She smiled slightly as she left the courtroom but did not comment. The AP is not naming the woman in order to preserve her daughter’s privacy.
Franco, who was detained Monday in the northern province of Puerto Plata, hasn’t been charged with any crimes. The judge has received a nearly 600-page document detailing the evidence that prosecutors gathered during a monthslong investigation.
The athlete’s lawyers have not commented other than saying that Franco was “doing fine.”
Prosecutors said the investigation began after they received an anonymous tip in July 2023 stemming from someone who saw a media post alluding to the relationship. The AP has not been able to verify the reported post.
Authorities accuse Franco of taking the minor away from her home in Puerto Plata in December 2022 and having a four-month relationship with her with consent from the girl’s mother.
They accuse Franco of sending the mother monthly payments of $1,700 for seven months and buying her a car “in order to allow the relationship and let her go out with him wherever she wanted,” according to the document, which quoted the girl.
The girl also was quoted as saying that she had demanded for a local digital media site to publish an item about her alleged relationship with the baseball player because she was “tired” of her mother, whom she accused of taking Franco’s money and not sharing any of it with her.
Days later, Franco published a live video alleging it was a scheme to extort money from him, the document stated.
In September 2023, authorities raided the home of the girl’s mother and seized 800,000 Dominican pesos ($13,700) as well as $68,500 they said was found hidden behind a frame. Another seizure at a different home found a guarantee certificate from a local bank for 2.1 million Dominican pesos ($36,000) that they said was delivered by Franco for the “commercial and sexual exploitation” of the girl.
In addition, they seized a Suzuki Swift worth $26,600, according to the document. Authorities noted that days before the car was bought, the teenager’s mother had the equivalent of $821 in her bank account. The mother also bought property in Puerto Plata worth $36,000, they said.
Authorities also state that Franco’s mother had sent money to the girl’s mother, but she has not been charged in the case even though they said she got involved “to avoid traces of her son with the accused.”
Franco arrived at a court in Puerto Plata on Friday morning and remained silent while being escorted through a group of journalists that peppered with him questions. The girl’s mother, who works at a local bank and was wearing sunglasses, also declined comment as she was escorted to a courtroom.
Outside, a small group of young Dominican players donned in baseball attire gathered to support Franco, carrying posters that read, “Free Franco,” and “We all are Franco.”
Franco was having an All-Star season before being sidelined in August, when authorities in the Dominican Republic began investigating claims he had been in a relationship with a minor. Major League Baseball launched its own investigation, placing Franco on the restricted list on Aug. 14 before moving him to administrative leave on Aug. 22. Both investigations are ongoing.
Franco signed a $182 million, 11-year contract in 2021. His salary last year and this year is $2 million per season.
veryGood! (19178)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- Earth is outside its ‘safe operating space for humanity’ on most key measurements, study says
- Police officers arrested after van prisoner was paralyzed seek program to have charges erased
- Taco Bell sign crushes Louisiana woman's car as she waits for food in drive-thru
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Judge blocks New Mexico governor's suspension of carrying firearms in public
- Teen driver accused of intentionally hitting three cyclists, killing one, in Southern California
- Serbia and Kosovo leaders hold long-awaited face-to-face talks as the EU seeks to dial down tensions
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Man accused of killing Purdue University dormitory roommate found fit for trial after hospital stay
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Wisconsin settles state Justice Department pollution allegations against 2 factory farms
- Botulism outbreak tied to sardines served in Bordeaux leaves 1 person dead and several hospitalized
- Delaware man gets 7 1/2-year federal term in carjacking of congresswoman’s SUV in Philadelphia
- Small twin
- Haitian officials meet in Dominican Republic to prevent border closings over canal dispute
- Kim Jong Un meets Putin in Russia, vows unconditional support amid Moscow's assault on Ukraine
- Demand for back-to-school Botox rising for some moms
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
GOP legislative leaders’ co-chair flap has brought the Ohio Redistricting Commission to a standstill
Tinashe says she tries to forget collaborations with R. Kelly, Chris Brown: 'So embarrassing'
Several students at Vermont school sent to hospital for CO exposure, officials say
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Utah GOP Sen. Mitt Romney, former presidential candidate and governor, won’t seek reelection in 2024
NASA confirmed its Space Launch System rocket program is unaffordable. Here's how the space agency can cut taxpayer costs.
Earth is outside its ‘safe operating space for humanity’ on most key measurements, study says