Current:Home > reviewsEx-Trump aide Peter Navarro found guilty of contempt of Congress -Capitatum
Ex-Trump aide Peter Navarro found guilty of contempt of Congress
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 05:26:47
A jury has found former Trump adviser Peter Navarro guilty of contempt of Congress for defying a subpoena issued in February 2022 by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack.
The verdict comes 14 months after Trump adviser Steve Bannon was also convicted of defying a Jan. 6 committee subpoena. He was sentenced to four months in prison, pending an appeal.
Navarro, who under Donald Trump was director of the White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy, was convicted on one count over his refusal to appear for a deposition in front of the committee, and on a second count for refusing to produce documents.
MORE: Former Trump aide Peter Navarro 'acted as if he was above the law': Prosecutors
Following the verdict, Navarro's lawyer, Stanley Woodward, moved for a mistrial on the grounds that the jury exited the building before returning a verdict and that they may have seen protesters while outside. The judge said he would not rule on any mistrial motion today.
Navarro was indicted on contempt charges by a grand jury in June.
Prosecutors said during closing arguments Thursday that Navarro's failure to submit documents and testify before the committee was intentional, while the defense argued that Navarro was "communicative" with the committee despite not testifying or submitting documents.
Woodward said that Navarro told the committee that "his hands were tied" and claimed executive privilege.
During testimony Wednesday, David Buckley, a former staff director for the Jan. 6 committee, told jurors the committee had been seeking to question Navarro about efforts to delay Congress' certification of the 2020 election, a plan Navarro dubbed the "Green Bay Sweep" in his book, "In Trump Time."
Woodward agreed with prosecutors that Navarro did not submit documents or show up for testimony -- but, he said, the Jan. 6 committee failed to contact Trump to find out if he had asserted executive privilege over Navarro's testimony and document production.
Prosecutors argued that Navarro still "had to show up to his deposition."
"To cite the privilege, he had to do it on a question-by-question basis," lead prosecutor John Crabb said. "That was made clear to Mr. Navarro. He didn't show up."
Navarro could face a maximum of two years in prison and fines up to $200,000.
veryGood! (287)
Related
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Iran holds first parliamentary election since 2022 mass protests, amid calls for boycott
- Boy whose death led to charges against parents and grandmother suffered ongoing abuse, autopsy shows
- NFL world honors 'a wonderful soul' after Chris Mortensen's death at 72
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Republican state senator to run for open congressional seat representing northeastern Wisconsin
- Jonathan Majors and Meagan Good Make Red Carpet Debut in First Appearance After His Assault Trial
- A ship earlier hit by Yemen's Houthi rebels sinks in the Red Sea, the first vessel lost in conflict
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- How Taylor Swift Is Related to Fellow Tortured Poet Emily Dickinson
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Deputies fatally shot a double-murder suspect who was holding a chrome shower head
- Nevada fake electors won’t stand trial until January 2025 under judge’s new schedule
- Republican state senator to run for open congressional seat representing northeastern Wisconsin
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- 'Maroon,' 3 acoustic songs added to Taylor Swift's Eras Tour film coming to Disney+
- Phillies, Zack Wheeler agree to historic three-year extension worth whopping $126 million
- Driver accused of killing bride in golf cart crash on wedding day is now free on bond
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Police search for 3 suspects after house party shooting leaves 4 dead, 3 injured in California
Trump tried to crush the 'DEI revolution.' Here's how he might finish the job.
Noah Cyrus Frees the Nipple During Paris Fashion Week Outing With Fiancé Pinkus
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
'Dune: Part Two' rides great reviews, starry young cast to $81.5 million debut
'Dune: Part Two' rides great reviews, starry young cast to $81.5 million debut
Horoscopes Today, March 3, 2024