Current:Home > ContactTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-6 ex-Mississippi officers in 'Goon Squad' torture case sentenced in state court -Capitatum
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-6 ex-Mississippi officers in 'Goon Squad' torture case sentenced in state court
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 00:33:27
JACKSON,TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center Miss. – The six former Mississippi law enforcement officers who last month were handed yearslong federal prison sentences for torturing two Black men were each sentenced to more than a decade in prison in state court Wednesday.
Former Rankin County Sheriff's deputies Brett McAlpin, Hunter Elward, Christian Dedmon, Jeffrey Middleton and Daniel Opdyke, and former Richland police officer Joshua Hartfield pleaded guilty to state charges in August after Michael Corey Jenkins and Eddie Terrell Parker accused them of bursting into a home without a warrant, calling them racial slurs, beating them, assaulting them with a sex toy, and shooting Jenkins in the mouth in January 2023. Kristen Clarke, assistant attorney general of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division, described the attack as "torture."
Elward was sentenced to 45 years, Dedmon was given 25 years, McAlpin, Middleton and Opdyke were each sentenced to 20 years, and Hartfield was handed 15 years in prison Wednesday. Time served for the state charges will run concurrently with their federal sentences.
The men previously pleaded guilty to more than a dozen federal charges and were sentenced to between 10 and 40 years in federal prison in March. The former officers, some of whom referred to themselves as the "Goon Squad," created a false cover story and fabricated evidence to hide their crimes, according to the federal indictment.
"The state criminal sentencing is important because, historically, the state of Mississippi has lagged behind or ignored racial crimes and police brutality against Blacks, and the Department of Justice has had to lead the way," Malik Shabazz, a lawyer for Jenkins and Parker, said Tuesday. "The nation expects a change on Wednesday."
What charges did the former Mississippi officers face?
The six former officers pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice and hinder prosecution, according to a statement from the office of Mississippi Attorney General Lynn Fitch.
Dedmon and Elward pleaded guilty to additional charges of home invasion and Elward pleaded guilty to aggravated assault, the release said. McAlpin, Middleton, Opdyke and Hartfield also pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice and hindering prosecution.
Ex-officers each get more than a decade in federal prison
U.S. District Court Judge Tom Lee sentenced Hartfield, who used a stun gun on the men and helped discard evidence, to 10 years in prison last month. Lee handed McAlpin a sentence of more than 27 years. McAlpin, the chief investigator and highest-ranking deputy at the scene, struck Parker with a piece of wood, stole from the property and pressured the other officers to go with the false cover story, the indictment said.
Dedmon devised the plot to cover up the involved officers' misconduct and was sentenced to 40 years in prison - the longest prison term given in the case. Lee sentenced Opdyke, who according to the indictment assaulted the men with a sex toy during the attack, struck Parker with a wooden kitchen implement and helped get rid of evidence, to 17½ years in prison.
Elward was sentenced to 20 years in prison. Middleton, described as the group's ringleader, was sentenced to 17½ years in prison.
Jenkins, Parker file civil rights lawsuit
Jenkins and Parker have filed a federal civil rights lawsuit seeking $400 million in damages. Shabazz and the NAACP have also called for Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey's resignation and called on the Justice Department to launch a pattern or practice investigation into Rankin County, similar to the investigation recently opened in Lexington, Mississippi.
veryGood! (24)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Czech court cancels lower court ruling that acquitted former PM Babis of fraud charges
- Casino giant Caesars Entertainment reports cyberattack; MGM Resorts says some systems still down
- 'Horrible movie': Davante Adams praying for Aaron Rodgers after Achilles injury
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- The Fall movies, TV and music we can't wait for
- As captured fugitive resumes sentence in the U.S., homicide in his native Brazil remains unsolved
- AP PHOTOS: Satellite images show flood devastation that killed more than 11,000 in Libya
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Kirkland chicken tortilla soup mistakenly labeled gluten-free, USDA warns
Ranking
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Protective moose with calf tramples hiker in Colorado
- Sean Penn goes after studio execs' 'daughter' in bizarre comments over AI debate
- US casinos have their best July ever, winning nearly $5.4B from gamblers
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Louisiana, 9 other states ask federal judge to block changes in National Flood Insurance Program
- NASA UAP report finds no evidence of extraterrestrial UFOs, but some encounters still defy explanation
- Miami city commissioner charged with bribery and money laundering
Recommendation
Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
Captured killer Danelo Cavalcante in max-security prison where Bill Cosby did time
Hunter Biden indicted on federal gun charges
Belgium requires a controversial class program. Now schools are burning and the country is worried
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Hunter Biden's indictment stopped at gun charges. But more may be coming
6 are in custody after a woman’s body was found in a car’s trunk outside a popular metro Atlanta spa
Detroit automakers and auto workers remain far from a deal as end-of-day strike deadline approaches