Current:Home > ContactFather of July 4th parade shooting suspect turns himself in to begin jail sentence -Capitatum
Father of July 4th parade shooting suspect turns himself in to begin jail sentence
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 06:16:23
CHICAGO (AP) — The father of the suspect in a deadly Fourth of July parade shooting in suburban Chicago turned himself in Wednesday to begin a 60-day jail sentence, but not before the judge reprimanded him for violating court rules.
Robert Crimo Jr. entered a guilty plea to seven misdemeanor counts of reckless conduct last week in Lake County court, in Waukegan, Illinois. Crimo sponsored his underage son’s firearm application three years before the July 2022 attack in Highland Park, even though the teenager had recently threatened violence.
Crimo arrived at the Lake County courthouse wearing a white T-shirt with large black letters reading: “I’m A Political Pawn.” The back said: “LAWS, FACTS, REALITY.” He turned it inside out before entering the courtroom, but the judge threatened to hold him in contempt of court if he violated court rules again, according to his lawyer, George Gomez, who said he did not know what his client’s shirt meant.
A court decorum order for the case prohibits any spectator from wearing or displaying a message that could affect the orderly administration of proceedings.
Judge George Strickland on Nov. 6 sentenced Crimo Jr. to 60 days in jail, two years of probation and 100 hours of community service, but agreed to wait until Wednesday to take him into custody.
Illinois offers most misdemeanor offenders the opportunity to reduce their sentence by half for good behavior, meaning Crimo Jr. may only serve 30 days. Although jail time will be brief, the case is significant because it is a rare example of a parent or guardian held criminally liable for the actions of an alleged mass shooter.
The judge also ordered Crimo Jr. to surrender his gun license and ammunition, and banned the former mayoral candidate from sponsoring firearm applications for minors.
Crimo Jr. had been originally charged with seven felony counts of reckless conduct — one for each person his son, Robert Crimo III, is accused of killing.
Prosecutors said a guilty plea with reduced misdemeanor charges was a good outcome.
“We’ve laid down a marker to other prosecutors, to other police in this country, to other parents, that they must be held accountable,” said Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart after Crimo Jr. was sentenced. ”He knew exactly how dangerous it was for this 19-year-old to have a weapon.”
But on Wednesday, Rinehart said Crimo Jr.’s decision to make a statement with the T-shirt raises questions about “whether he understands what he has done,” the Chicago Sun Times reported.
“I believe that his shirt today shows that he is not taking this seriously, that he is not remorseful for his acts, which caused so much pain and damage,” Rinehart told reporters. “I think we’ve learned a lot about how Mr. Crimo looks at this case.”
Crimo Jr. had no comment on his sentence or charges. Gomez said the plea was made in part to ensure his son received a fair trial, since details and evidence from the shooting would have been widely aired during a trial of his own.
Three years before the attack, the younger Crimo at 19 was not old enough to seek his own gun license, but could apply with the sponsorship of a parent or guardian. His father signed off on the application, even though just months earlier a relative reported to police that Crimo III had threatened to “kill everyone.”
Crimo III faces 21 first-degree murder counts, 48 counts of attempted murder and 48 counts of aggravated battery. Prosecutors say he admitted he was the gunman when he was arrested hours after the shooting in Highland Park. A trial date is expected to be set on Dec. 11.
___
Savage is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (86319)
Related
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Save Up to 50% on Shapewear Deals From the Amazon Big Spring Sale: Feel Fabulous for Less
- Grand Canyon gets first March Madness win, is eighth double-digit seed to reach second round
- Amazon Has Major Deals on Beauty Brands That Are Rarely on Sale: Tatcha, Olaplex, Grande Cosmetics & More
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Burn Bright With $5 Candle Deals from the Amazon Big Sale: Yankee Candle, Nest Candle, Homesick, and More
- Kansas started at No. 1 and finished March Madness with a second-round loss. What went wrong?
- Kristin Cavallari Jokes Boyfriend Mark Estes Looks Like Heath Ledger
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- 2024 Ford Ranger Raptor flexes its off-road muscles in first-drive review
Ranking
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- USMNT Concacaf Nations League final vs. Mexico: How to stream, game time, rosters
- The Highs and Lows of Oprah Winfrey's 50-Year Weight Loss Journey
- Biden lauds them. Trump wants to restrict them. How driving an electric car got political
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Rep. Mike Gallagher says he’s resigning early, leaving House Republicans with thinnest of majorities
- A surprising number of stars eat their own planets, study shows. Here's how it happens.
- Georgia RB Trevor Etienne arrested on multiple charges, including DUI, reckless driving
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Kansas started at No. 1 and finished March Madness with a second-round loss. What went wrong?
Georgia running back Trevor Etienne arrested on DUI and reckless driving charges
Nordstrom Springs Into Sales, With Up To 60% Off Barefoot Dreams, Nike, & Madewell
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
U.K. man gets 37 years for fatally poisoning couple with fentanyl, rewriting their will
Domino and other U.S. sugar companies accused of conspiring to fix prices in antitrust lawsuits
As Russia mourns concert hall attack, some families are wondering if their loved ones are alive