Current:Home > MarketsWomen’s World Cup winners maintain boycott of Spain’s national team. Coach delays picking her squad -Capitatum
Women’s World Cup winners maintain boycott of Spain’s national team. Coach delays picking her squad
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 01:19:32
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — The new coach of Spain’s women’s team had to delay the announcement of her first squad Friday after the country’s World Cup-winning players maintained their boycott of the national team as part of their fight against sexism in soccer.
Spain coach Montse Tomé was set to announce her squad on Friday. But 20 minutes before she was supposed to hold a news conference, the federation said it was postponed to a time to be determined.
The federation said the players had rejected their attempts to convince them to return to the team early on Friday.
That leaves Tomé with the difficult decision of whether to still call up the revolting players, or select a completely different team for upcoming Nations League games against Sweden and Switzerland on Sept. 22 and 26. According to Spanish sports law, athletes are required to answer the call of its national teams unless there are circumstances that impede them from playing, such as an injury.
Spain’s women have had little chance to celebrate their greatest soccer achievement because Luis Rubiales, the now former president of the federation, caused an uproar when he kissed player Jenni Hermoso on the lips at the awards ceremony in Sydney on Aug. 20.
The 23 players, along with dozens of other players, responded to his subsequent refusal to step down in the days after the kiss by announcing that they would not play for their nation again until the federation underwent deep reforms and had new leadership.
The federation has been in upheaval since. Rubiales was first suspended by soccer governing body FIFA, then his interim replacement fired women’s national team coach Jorge Vilda, who was unpopular with players. Rubiales himself eventually resigned under immense pressure.
Many expected that the firing of Vilda and the exit of Rubiales would clear the path for the return of the players. But it appears that the players want more changes, even though they have not made their specific demands public.
The players said through their FUTRPO union on Aug. 25 that they would not return to play for Spain “if the present leadership continues” and asked for “real structural changes that help the national team continue to grow.”
Last year, 15 players similarly rebelled, asking for more “professional” coaching from Vilda. The federation — led by Rubiales — firmly backed Vilda, and only three of those players relented and were eventually included in the World Cup squad.
Quietly, however, the player revolt did appear to lead to some changes. The staff was increased to more than 60 members to accompany the team to Australia and New Zealand, the team flew on chartered flights, and players were given money to help bring their families along. Players with children were also given time to spend with them.
With Rubiales — Vilda’s biggest supporter — out of the way, the federation has sided more fully with the players during this second rebellion. In Vilda’s place, the federation hired Tomé, his former assistant, as the first female coach of Spain’s women’s team.
Spain midfielder Alexia Putellas, a two-time Ballon d’Or winner, said Wednesday that the players want sweeping reform.
“We are asking for changes so no woman, inside or outside of soccer, should ever have to experience again situations of disparagement, disrespect, or abuse,” Alexia said. “We need consensus, courage and leadership from the institutions, please. This is why we will not stop here.”
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Looming volcano eruption in Iceland leaves evacuated small town in limbo: The lava is under our house
- When should kids specialize in a sport? Five tips to help you find the right moment
- Kansas to appeal ruling blocking abortion rules, including a medication restriction
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Israel says second hostage Noa Marciano found dead near Gaza's Al-Shifa Hospital
- Papua New Guinea volcano erupts and Japan says it’s assessing a possible tsunami risk to its islands
- Nightengale's Notebook: What made late Padres owner Peter Seidler beloved by his MLB peers
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Shakira to appear in Barcelona court on the first day of her tax fraud trial in Spain
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- 'Saltburn' basks in excess and bleak comedy
- Senegal opposition party sponsoring new candidate Faye after court blocks jailed leader Sonko’s bid
- Mexican photojournalist found shot to death in his car in Ciudad Juarez near U.S. border
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- Wilson, Sutton hook up for winning TD as Broncos rally to end Vikings’ 5-game winning streak, 21-20
- Stock Market Today: Asian stocks rise following Wall Street’s 3rd straight winning week
- Georgia deputy who shot absolved man had prior firing for excessive force. Critics blame the sheriff
Recommendation
Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
Ahead of Dutch elections, food banks highlight the cost-of-living crisis, a major campaign theme
Taylor Swift returns to the Rio stage after fan's death, show postponement
James scores season-high 37, hits go-ahead free throw as Lakers hold off Rockets 105-104
Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
LGBTQ+ advocates say work remains as Colorado Springs marks anniversary of nightclub attack
Jordan Fisher goes into ‘Hadestown’ on Broadway, ‘stretching every creative muscle’
National Weather Service surveying wind damage from ‘possible tornado’ in Arizona town