Current:Home > InvestDisputes over access to the vote intensify as Ohioans begin to cast ballots -Capitatum
Disputes over access to the vote intensify as Ohioans begin to cast ballots
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 07:05:57
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Several disputes over voter rights in Ohio were unresolved Tuesday as the state began accepting early ballots in this fall’s election for president, a key U.S. Senate race and a redistricting measure.
Republican Secretary of State Frank LaRose had not yet responded to Common Cause and the League of Women Voters, which notified him last week that voters were being systematically removed from the rolls in several counties as a result of third-party challenges. The advocacy groups alleged the actions violate provisions of the National Voting Registration Act.
LaRose’s office said he had cast a tie vote keeping most of the challenged voters in one of the counties, Delaware, on the rolls. He is reviewing claims in three additional counties.
National groups allied with former President Donald Trump have been facilitating these citizen-powered efforts to systematically challenge the legitimacy of large numbers of voter registrations. LaRose praised their efforts and believes accurate voter rolls are a core tenet of any well-run election, said spokesman Dan Lusheck.
“Ohio runs some of the most transparent elections in the nation, and we are proud of that,” Lusheck said.
Meanwhile, minority Democrats at the Ohio Statehouse carried on questioning LaRose’s removal of 155,000 voter registration records in August. He has said the legally required actions targeted registration records of inactive, noncitizen, deceased or otherwise ineligible voters.
On Monday, state Rep. Elliot Forhan, a Cleveland-area Democrat, filed a formal challenge asking the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections to restore 741 voters in the county — a Democratic stronghold potentially pivotal in U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown’s tight reelection bid against Cleveland businessman Bernie Moreno.
State Rep. Bride Rose Sweeney, another Democrat from the Cleveland area, sent a letter to LaRose on Tuesday reiterating her earlier request for additional records involving the office’s removal processes. Her office uncovered more than 1,000 wrongfully removed voters in Cuyahoga County alone with the help of previously released records, she said, and requested a third-party audit.
“If Frank LaRose isn’t going to ensure all eligible voters have the right to vote in Ohio, the least he can do is give me the public records, so I can do it for him,” Sweeney said in a statement.
LaRose’s office had no immediate comment.
Also yet to be resolved is the Ohio Democratic Party’s September lawsuit challenging a LaRose directive that prevents people who are helping voters with disabilities drop off their ballots from using drop boxes.
The secretary issued his order after a federal judge struck down portions of Ohio’s sweeping 2023 election law in July, allowing more classes of people to help voters with disabilities deliver their ballots. It affirmed the helpers could do so, but added requirements that they drop the ballots inside board of elections offices and sign a form vouching for their identities.
LaRose called the move a precaution against ballot harvesting. Democrats said that it is illegal.
Three of the Ohio Supreme Court’s seven justices — two Democrats and a Republican, all seeking office this fall — have recused themselves in the case. A fourth was asked to, but refused.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
The Republican National Committee and the Ohio Republican Party said Tuesday they have moved to intervene in the case.
“Secretary LaRose has taken critical steps to safeguard Ohio’s elections, but once again Democrats are trying to dismantle commonsense protections that make it easy to vote and hard to cheat,” national committee Chairman Michael Whatley said in a statement. “This is yet another poorly veiled attempt to eliminate ballot safeguards and interfere right before the election — and we will stop them.”
veryGood! (3355)
Related
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Vanderpump Rules' Tom Sandoval Breaks Silence on Rumored New Girl Tii
- Watch: Astros' Jon Singleton goes yard twice for first MLB home runs since 2015
- Fatal house fire kills 1 teenager and 2 adults in North Carolina’s Outer Banks
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Indiana man indicted in threats made to Michigan municipal clerk following 2020 election
- C.J. Stroud, No. 2 pick in 2023 NFL draft, struggles in preseason debut for Houston Texans
- Parts of Maui are in ashes after wildfires blazed across the Hawaiian island. These photos show the destruction.
- Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
- Watch: Astros' Jon Singleton goes yard twice for first MLB home runs since 2015
Ranking
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- Chrishell Stause Responds to Fans Who Still Ship Her With Ex Jason Oppenheim
- Katharine McPhee, David Foster suffer 'horrible tragedy' in family
- Alabama residents to get $300 tax rebate checks likely in November
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Lahaina residents worry a rebuilt Maui town could slip into the hands of affluent outsiders
- Feeling lazy? La-Z-Boy's giving away 'The Decliner,' a chair with AI to cancel your plans
- Prosecutors decline to charge officer who shot and wounded autistic Utah teenager
Recommendation
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Hundreds of items from Twitter offices going up for auction as Musk continues X rebrand
Robert De Niro’s Daughter Shares Heartbreaking Message on Late Son Leandro’s 20th Birthday
Justin Fields excels, Malik Willis and Will Levis come up short in Bears' win over Titans
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Lawyer says suspect, charged with hate crime, may argue self-defense in dancer’s death
Joey Baby Jewelry Fall Accessory Must-Haves Start at Just $26
Taylor Swift announces 1989 (Taylor's Version) is on its way: My most favorite re-record I've ever done