Current:Home > MyIndonesian troops recover bodies of 6 workers missing after attack by Papua separatists -Capitatum
Indonesian troops recover bodies of 6 workers missing after attack by Papua separatists
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:46:04
JAYAPURA, Indonesia (AP) — Indonesian security forces said Saturday they have recovered the bodies of six traditional gold mining workers who had been missing since a separatist attack at their camp in the restive Papua region almost two weeks ago.
Gunmen stormed a gold panning camp in the Yahukimo district of Highland Papua province on Oct. 16, killing seven workers and setting fire to three excavators and two trucks, said Faizal Ramadhani, a national police member who heads the joint security force.
Hours later, a two-hour shootout took place between members of the joint security forces of police and military and the rebels occupying the camp, Ramadhani said.
The West Papua Liberation Army, the military wing of the Free Papua Organization, has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Eleven workers who had hid in the jungle were rescued safely after Indonesian security forces cleared the camp. However, they only found one body, and the six other victims had been declared missing until their rotting bodies were recovered early Friday near a river, a few kilometers from the camp. Two of the remains were charred and the four others had gunshot and stab wounds, Ramadhani said.
It was the latest in a series of violent incidents in recent years in Papua, where conflicts between indigenous Papuans and Indonesian security forces are common.
Rebel spokesman Sebby Sambon confirmed the group’s fighters carried out the attack. He said the group had warned all workers to leave Indonesian government projects as well as traditional gold mining areas, or they would be considered part of the Indonesian security forces.
“The West Papua Liberation Army is responsible for the attack Oct. 16 at Yahukimo’s gold panning camp,” Sambom said in a statement provided to The Associated Press on Saturday. “Because they were outsiders and were part of Indonesian intelligence.”
Indonesia’s government, which for decades has had a policy of sending Javanese and other Indonesians to settle in Papua, is trying to spur economic development to dampen the separatist movement.
Papua is a former Dutch colony in the western part of New Guinea that is ethnically and culturally distinct from much of Indonesia. Conflicts between indigenous Papuans and Indonesian security forces are common.
Papua was incorporated into Indonesia in 1969 after a U.N.-sponsored ballot that was widely seen as a sham. Since then, a low-level insurgency has simmered in the region, which was divided into five provinces last year.
Attacks have spiked in the past year, with dozens of rebels, security forces and civilians killed.
Data collected by Amnesty International Indonesia showed at least 179 civilians, 35 Indonesian troops and nine police, along with 23 independence fighters, were killed in clashes between rebels and security forces between 2018 and 2022.
veryGood! (628)
Related
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- When does 'Bridgerton' come out? Season 3 Part 2 release date, cast, where to watch new episodes
- Michael Strahan's daughter Isabella finishes chemo treatment
- Dog fight! Joey Chestnut out of July 4 hot dog eating contest due to deal with rival brand
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Lionel Richie on the continuing power of We Are the World
- Elon Musk drops lawsuit against ChatGPT-maker OpenAI without explanation
- What benefits can help improve employee retention? Ask HR
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Donald Trump tells a group that calls for banning all abortions to stand up for ‘innocent life’
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- When is the debt ceiling deadline? What happens when the US reaches the limit
- Joey Chestnut will not compete at 2024 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
- Glen Powell learns viral 'date with a cannibal' story was fake: 'False alarm'
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Who is Tony Evans? Pastor who stepped down from church over ‘sin’ committed years ago
- Judge faces inquiry after Illinois attorney was kicked out of court and handcuffed to chair
- MLB's most affordable ballparks: Which stadiums offer the most bang for your buck?
Recommendation
Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
John McEnroe angers fans with comments about French Open winner Iga Swiatek — and confuses others with goodbye message
Transit bus leads Atlanta police on wild chase after officers respond to dispute, police say
Ukraine says its forces hit ultra-modern Russian stealth jet parked at air base hundreds of miles from the front lines
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Alabama seeks more nitrogen executions, despite concern over the method
The Friday Afternoon Club: Griffin Dunne on a literary family's legacy
YouTube Star Ben Potter’s Cause of Death Revealed